GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Here's to compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/188522-heres-compost.html)

Cratered Cous Cous 05-12-2009 04:04 AM

Here's to compost

Just built my first "real" compost pile out of some cedar fence that was
taken down. Here's hoping it works as well as the chicken wire I've been
using!

Higgs Boson 14-12-2009 08:28 AM

Here's to compost

On Dec 4, 8:04*pm, Cratered Cous Cous wrote:
Just built my first "real" compost pile out of some cedar fence that was
taken down. *Here's hoping it works as well as the chicken wire I've been
using!

How are you going to get in there to turn and aerate (sp) ?

Dav 16-12-2009 01:25 PM

Here's to compost

On Dec 14, 3:28*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:04*pm, Cratered Cous Cous wrote:

Just built my first "real" compost pile out of some cedar fence that was
taken down. *Here's hoping it works as well as the chicken wire I've been
using!

How are you going to get in there to turn and aerate (sp) * ?

I find it easer to never turn the pile, when the pile (4x4x4) is 1-
year old I screen it & throw the uncomposted material into next years
bin. There is very little that will not be composted.
It takes a year using all materials on my one acre of land to build a
pile 4x4x4, 64 cubic feet, which takes about 10 x 64cu ft or 640 cubic
ft of materials to make a pile of compost 4x4x4.
It then sets a year ( summer solstice to summer solstice June,22)
while I'm building a new one.
Now if you have a 4x4x4 bin full of material & you start turning,
you'll probably end with 6 cu ft, one wheelbarrow full. My way I get
128 wheelbarrows of compost a year.
Have never aerated and can't see why I should. Have been doing this
for eight years.

dav