Old 24-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Andrew Tan

Default How tall is Osakazuki - Japanese Maple

Hi there,

I am thinking about getting a Japanese Maple - Osakazuki for my small
garden. I am confused of its potential height.I read from different
sites and books, Some says 10-15 feet, some says 10-11 meters. Does
anyone here know what is the actual height Osakazuki can go up to.
Thankx

Andrew
Old 24-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Pam

Andrew Tan wrote:

Hi there,

I am thinking about getting a Japanese Maple - Osakazuki for my small
garden. I am confused of its potential height.I read from different
sites and books, Some says 10-15 feet, some says 10-11 meters. Does
anyone here know what is the actual height Osakazuki can go up to.
Thankx

Andrew

Osakazuki is a beautiful Japanese maple - has a very sculptural form and
gets spectacular fall color. It received the RHS Garden Merit award in
1993. It can ultimately get to about 30 feet, but will take a very long
time (50+ years) to achieve this height. The ultimate height of a tree
depends on a lot of factors - how and where it was grafted, the climate
and growing conditions, regular watering, etc. Many trees growing in
urban conditions (ie., your backyard) will never reach the size they
would naturally and others sometimes exceed reported mature heights.

Unless your yard is postage stamp size, a Japanese maple is a good choice
- these are well-mannered small trees that if properly placed and sited
never outgrow their situation. I don't have an Osakazuki, but I have 6
other types of Japanese maples (not to mention a bunch of other trees) in
my pretty compact, less than 1/4 acre garden and they all fit and the
garden is not overly shaded by them.

Go for it - you won't regret your choice.

pam - gardengal

Old 25-02-2003, 06:15 AM
Andrew Tan

Pam,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am a maple tree lover and would
like to collect and plant as many as I can in my small garden. It
worries me as go through the book by J. D. Vertrees (Japanese Maples)
that many of them would grow up to 10-20 meters tall. Looks like the
book took the high end of the measurement compare to nursery indicated
measurement. With the Australian warm climat, clay based soil in my
garden and the non invasive nature of maple tree roots. I think I can
take on without worrying too much about losing my house to the maple
tree. Thankx again.

Andrew

Old 25-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Maryanne

I have two which I have treated as large Bonsai - they are potted in
beautiful ceramic pots - one shades of blue & the other cream - with the
colour of the leaves they are gems - I have them in the driveway/motorcourt
by the front door & many people comment on how pretty they are. I would like
more but don't want to invest until I know more - I have jsut fough off an
attack of aphid on the older of the two. But there wil definitely be more in
the future.

Maryanne

Old 25-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Pam

Both the Vertrees and the van Gelderen maple books seem to err on the generous side
- I guess they would like you to plan for and expect the largest growth, however as
slow as these puppies grow, I doubt even the maximum size they could attain should
pose much of a problem to you :-) Dirr seems to follow the same trend. In his
illustrated Woody Plants, he has photos of the lardest specimens he could possibly
find of each tree in question. I always have to caution clients that these
illustrations are atypical and that they can expect something slightly more demure.

If you are interested in Japanese maples, please look for and consider Acer
japonicum 'Aconitifolium' - I think this is one of the finest of the Asian maples
for form, leaf texture and fall color.

pam - gardengal