Old 28-04-2003, 04:20 PM
theakson

Default some advice about Earthworms

Now I have my raised beds I want to populate them with earthworms. It seems
that, for Chicago, we should use Eisena Fetida ( aka red worm / red
wiggler). I have read that a 1 sq ft area of soil can support 25 worms.

First is the above correct.

second where can I buy earthworms in Chicago.

Thanks

Mk

Old 28-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:02:43 GMT, "theakson"
wrote:

Now I have my raised beds I want to populate them with earthworms. It seems
that, for Chicago, we should use Eisena Fetida ( aka red worm / red
wiggler). I have read that a 1 sq ft area of soil can support 25 worms.

First is the above correct.

second where can I buy earthworms in Chicago.

Thanks

Mk

At a fisherman's bait shop? Worms really like moist rotted leaves and
they will feed on most cereal grains.
Old 29-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Mike S.

I agree with Brad, start your own worm farm and use the worm castings.
I have been worm farming for a month and although I have very few
castings I have kept my worms alive which is a success to me.

Mike
Old 29-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Ed G. Bowlin

I got a pick up load of shavings n horse manure form the local stables,,,
after growing season, 4 mos later, I pitch fork turned it over, worms out
the gazook!,,, not a clue how they got there,,,but they are n I'm a happy
veggie gardener !
my 2c ed,,, siting in front of a puter, located in Sac, Ca,,, :-)

news

Old 30-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Harlan Davis

Theakson:

I liked the way you phrased the question in the chi.wanted news group better.
Absolutely cracked me up.

Go to a bait shop and ask them where they get their redworms, or better yet,
tell 'em to cut you a deal on several dozen. It'll probably cost you $10-$20,
but so what; you're loaded. When you get 'em, spread them out on some loose
soil, cover them with a thin layer of damp leaves and let 'em find their own
way to their permanent home. Don't let 'em get sunburned.

Harlan

Old 30-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Brad Isaac

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:45:14 -0500, Harlan Davis
wrote:

Theakson:

I liked the way you phrased the question in the chi.wanted news group better.
Absolutely cracked me up.

Go to a bait shop and ask them where they get their redworms, or better yet,
tell 'em to cut you a deal on several dozen. It'll probably cost you $10-$20,
but so what; you're loaded. When you get 'em, spread them out on some loose
soil, cover them with a thin layer of damp leaves and let 'em find their own
way to their permanent home. Don't let 'em get sunburned.

Harlan

Harlan is right. if you go to the bait store and tell them you want
to try "worm recycling" many times they are so facinated they will
give you a great discount on the worms.

One bait store owner was so fascinated, she showed me her personal
'dung heap' LOL that was about the size of a trailor home. She said
"dig as many worms as you want. Just let me know if your project
works."

The project obviously did, I've been at it 2+ years. I'm up to about
5000 worms from the original pound I bought back then.

Brad
Developer, Achieve-IT! Goal Setting Software for Pocket PC
Editor, http://www.pocketpcaddict.com

Achieve-IT! download locations:
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...0&platformId=2
http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/module...ticle&artid=14

Achieve-IT! Review:
http://www.pdacorps.com/default.asp?key=pages/AchieveIT!.htm
Old 02-05-2003, 11:32 AM
theakson

"Harlan Davis" wrote in message
Theakson:

I liked the way you phrased the question in the chi.wanted news group

better.
Absolutely cracked me up.

I thought this news group was a classier place than chi.wanted :-)

Go to a bait shop and ask them where they get their redworms, or better

yet,
tell 'em to cut you a deal on several dozen. It'll probably cost you

$10-$20,
but so what; you're loaded. When you get 'em, spread them out on some

loose
soil, cover them with a thin layer of damp leaves and let 'em find their

own
way to their permanent home. Don't let 'em get sunburned.

Harlan

thanks for the advice Harlan, I have a @#$%load ( see I can be
classy too ) of leaves and will consider using those.

TH

[IMG] code is On

I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 03:17 PM
Earthworms=Drainage? Gardening 0 18-04-2003 04:20 AM
Earthworms=Drainage? Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 11-04-2003 09:32 PM
Earthworms in Zoysia Lawn David W. Bennett Gardening 1 09-04-2003 07:20 PM
Earthworms Britannica United Kingdom 9 01-04-2003 11:08 PM