GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Millers? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/189412-millers.html)

enigma 03-02-2010 04:59 PM

Millers?

anyone buy from Millers? i'm looking mostly at berries (raspberries
for the NH farm & currents for NY). my dad bought berries mailorder
from someplace & all he got was a bunch of cuttings with no
indication of even top or bottom (out of a bundle of 25, 5 or 6
rooted but never did much). i'm not wanting to waste a lot of money
and time on something like that.
lee

beecrofter[_2_] 03-02-2010 05:30 PM

Millers?

On Feb 3, 10:59*am, enigma wrote:
anyone buy from Millers? i'm looking mostly at berries (raspberries
for the NH farm & currents for NY). my dad bought berries mailorder
from someplace & all he got was a bunch of cuttings with no
indication of even top or bottom (out of a bundle of 25, 5 or 6
rooted but never did much). i'm not wanting to waste a lot of money
and time on something like that.
lee

Miller in Canandaigua? I've had no problems, you might like the
fallgold raspberry, it's done well for me .

Bill who putters 03-02-2010 05:48 PM

Millers?

In article
,
beecrofter wrote:

On Feb 3, 10:59*am, enigma wrote:
anyone buy from Millers? i'm looking mostly at berries (raspberries
for the NH farm & currents for NY). my dad bought berries mailorder
from someplace & all he got was a bunch of cuttings with no
indication of even top or bottom (out of a bundle of 25, 5 or 6
rooted but never did much). i'm not wanting to waste a lot of money
and time on something like that.
lee

Miller in Canandaigua? I've had no problems, you might like the
fallgold raspberry, it's done well for me .

I've dealt with them in the past too. Mostly for apples no troubles.

I prefer one crop type like Latham raspberry which are easy to root
propagate an older variety one croper. May have disease issues though.

Grew Heritage, Fall Gold and a black. The black tip roots and became a
nasty weed.

BTW Neighbors may have some in need of cutting/digging back.

http://www.raspberries.us/varieties.htm

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

enigma 04-02-2010 04:06 AM

Millers?

Bill who putters wrote in
:

Grew Heritage, Fall Gold and a black. The black tip roots and
became a
nasty weed.

i have lot of really nice black raspberries spread around my yard by
the chickens from a plant that used to grow by the former lambing pen
fence. yes, they certainly do love to root from the tips! i try to
keep them trimmed so they don't root where i don't want them
spreading.
i'm thinking of trying the Fall Gold. i haven't had any of those.
it's the closest commercial thing i've seen to a white raspberry that
was growing wild near Sodus NY. those were very good & the birds
completely ignored them. i wish i'd taken some cuttings.
i'm interested in growing raspberries in a hoop house. in theory, if
the bushes aren't getting rained on while the fruit is ripening, they
hold better on the bush. less disease issues, too.
lee

Doug[_4_] 17-02-2010 01:50 PM

Millers?

enigma wrote:

anyone buy from Millers? i'm looking mostly at berries (raspberries
for the NH farm & currents for NY). my dad bought berries mailorder
from someplace & all he got was a bunch of cuttings with no
indication of even top or bottom (out of a bundle of 25, 5 or 6
rooted but never did much). i'm not wanting to waste a lot of money
and time on something like that.
lee

I've never bought from them but they have a lot of negitive reviews on Daves
garden watchdog.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/429/

[email protected] 04-03-2010 05:13 PM

Millers?

bought from them once. never again. their root stock was a joke.
Ingrid

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:59:26 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

anyone buy from Millers? i'm looking mostly at berries (raspberries
for the NH farm & currents for NY). my dad bought berries mailorder
from someplace & all he got was a bunch of cuttings with no
indication of even top or bottom (out of a bundle of 25, 5 or 6
rooted but never did much). i'm not wanting to waste a lot of money
and time on something like that.
lee

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

enigma 05-03-2010 01:15 AM

Millers?

wrote in
:

bought from them once. never again. their root stock was a
joke.

thanks Ingrid. the reviews seem to be mostly not so great, so i'll
look elsewhere.
St.Lawrence Nurseries anyone? mostly antique varieties, but stuff
that grows in cold zones.
lee