Old 24-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Paul Zook

Default Help for a newbie? Please?

My grandma Rose passed away last March and this year I want to do a nice
planting of flowers around her headstone. My question...I am looking for a
pretty flowing plant that can tolerate direct sun and wont grow too wild. I
ususally stop by the cemetary once a week to water the flowers so I need
something that is tolerant of the heat and periods of little water.

Many thanks for your help!

Paul

Old 24-02-2003, 04:51 AM
jammer

I went to a local garden center and they had varieties tolerant of
this climate. Try that?

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:07:17 -0500, "Paul Zook"
wrote:

My grandma Rose passed away last March and this year I want to do a nice
planting of flowers around her headstone. My question...I am looking for a
pretty flowing plant that can tolerate direct sun and wont grow too wild. I
ususally stop by the cemetary once a week to water the flowers so I need
something that is tolerant of the heat and periods of little water.

Many thanks for your help!

Paul

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 24-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Tracey

My grandma Rose passed away last March and this year I
want to do a nice planting of flowers around her headstone.

I'm sure you've talked to the cemetary caretakers about this,
right? Most of the cemeteries I've known don't allow the planting
of flowers because it makes it more difficult to do grass
maintenance. Because of that, my mother had two shepherd
hooks placed at my sister's and grandparents' graves and has
huge baskets of flowers that she rotates through there. She
will plant some small plants in early spring then, by the time
it gets *really* hot in the summer, they're getting too big to
be able to get by with only being watered once a week so she'll
bring them to her house and, after it's cooled down a bit,
she places more baskets out there with smaller plants in them
again.

Tracey

Old 24-02-2003, 01:15 PM
KrisHur

"Paul Zook" wrote in message
My grandma Rose passed away last March and this year I want to do a nice
planting of flowers around her headstone. My question...I am looking for

pretty flowing plant that can tolerate direct sun and wont grow too wild.

ususally stop by the cemetary once a week to water the flowers so I need
something that is tolerant of the heat and periods of little water.

Many thanks for your help!

Paul

As someone else already mentioned, check with the caretaker.

Depending on your climate (what part of the country are you in?) A small
peony would be nice, they have a brief bloom period but are glorious in
bloom, are low maintenance and will live 100 years.

Longer blooming plants suitable for you would be:
Knautia
Platycodon
Coreopsis

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 25-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Dwayne

I have seen roses and iris around graves we have visited. The roses cant
be the climbers, because you will have to prune them each year to within 12
and 18 inches from the ground. They produce very nice. Iris are nice also,
but don't bloom long. They also have to be dug up every 3 or 4 years, split
apart and replanted.

Good lucik. Dwayne

Old 25-02-2003, 04:27 AM
jammer

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:14:28 -0700, "Dwayne" wrote:

I have seen roses and iris around graves we have visited. The roses cant
be the climbers, because you will have to prune them each year to within 12
and 18 inches from the ground. They produce very nice. Iris are nice also,
but don't bloom long. They also have to be dug up every 3 or 4 years, split
apart and replanted.

Good lucik. Dwayne

I have never seperated my irises and i have had them for 10 yrs? Good
grief! No wonder they hardly bloom anymore! They were moved last year,
but i didn't know to seperate them.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 25-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Dwayne

As they grow, they come to the top of the ground. I start about 4 inches
back from the plant and dig straight down, and walk around the plant doing
that. then I get the whole thing to come up. Then you can clean it off
with a water hose, and you will see how to break it apart. Lay one piece
back where you took it up, and transplant the rest, or give them away or
compost them. I have laid them out (not in the sun) and let them dry for a
few days, and them put them into paper bags sorted according to colors, and
planted them the next year. They can survive up to a year that way. You
can plant them by throwing them on the ground. I like to do it so you can
see the tops of them sticking out of the dirt. If you split them right away
after they bloom, you might get them to bloom the following summer, if not,
you will have to wait two years.

Yours have been there 10 years, they will be very big and heavy. If you
don't want to go to all that work, you can take a shovel and cut the plant
into fourths, or sixths and transplant the chunks. Leave one where it is,
and don't disturb the roots that feed it, and it will probably bloom the
next year.

Have fun. Dwayne

Old 26-02-2003, 03:27 AM
CWilde

Good advice from Dwayne. My sister, the eternally over committed, took some
of mine home and forgot to plant them. Left them in a mesh basket in the
spring, accidentally dropped them in her garden, and found them the next
fall. They had just rooted themselves where she dropped them.

Carlotta

Old 26-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Fleemo

Assuming it's ok to actually plant flowers there at the gravesite, you
might consider Daylilies. Their foliage is attractive, their flowers
spectacular, they don't get too large too quickly, and in my
experience, are rather maintenance free. Like the lilies, you might
have to divide them every couple of years.

Hope this helps.

-Fleemo

[IMG] code is On

Newbie Help Please Simon Taylor Bonsai 4 12-09-2004 07:29 PM
Dying trees? Please help a newbie Mike Gardening 2 12-05-2004 05:03 PM
newbie allotment help please Thebluenowhere01 United Kingdom 1 30-06-2003 10:32 PM
Some pond newbie help please.... Wilson Ponds 3 13-05-2003 08:44 PM