Old 24-02-2010, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing Tobacco

As the price of tobacco products shoot sky high it seems more people are
taking an interest in growing their own. I'm considering a dozen or two
plants this spring myself. It seems to be very easy to grow from what
I've been reading on the net. The big problem seems to be curing it
which can take a very long time depending on the method used. I'm
considering sun curing which seems to be the quickest curing method. I
plan to harvest the leaves from the bottom of the plant up as they begin
to turn from green to yellow. I'll cut and tie the leaves in small
clusters and hang them in the sun for two or three weeks after which
I'll then transfer them to my basement where they will be hung from the
rafters. I plan to chop them up as needed in a food processor and roll
them into cigarettes or smoke them in a pipe. I even considered another
alternative to sun drying but not sure how well it may work. Harvest
the leaves and hang them directly in my basement. Then use a food
dehydrator to dry them as needed. Can anyone give me any ideas to
ponder???

Rich from PA zone 6

Old 24-02-2010, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Growin' tobacco makes as much sense as getting a web cam for your
computer, so that big brother can watch you. Hey, if a school district
can do it, do you think Washington won't?
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/2/22/headlines#10

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 24-02-2010, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've also thought about this. The tobacco I'll be growing is a big
beautiful plant with lush green leaves and beautiful flowers. I could
place a few at the end of my garden for decorative purposes and also as
a conservation piece. I don't think many folks here in the north east
ever even saw a tobacco plant let alone one in bloom. Tobacco seeds are
very tiny, about as fine as ground pepper so I'm told. Perhaps I could
then allow my plants to go to seed and then harvest just the seeds.
From my understanding, each pod contains about 100 seeds. That's a lot
of seeds from a few plants! The seeds could then be used as a barter
item in a future economy that seems to be getting worse with each
passing week month and year. There are a lot of tobacco users out there
who can't buy their tobacco products when they don't have jobs. Smoke
some, perhaps. Harvest seed to barter, perhaps. Seems to me that
this plant could have lot's of possibilities now and in the future.

Rich

Old 24-02-2010, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

I've also thought about this. The tobacco I'll be growing is a big
beautiful plant with lush green leaves and beautiful flowers. I could
place a few at the end of my garden for decorative purposes and also as
a conservation piece. I don't think many folks here in the north east
ever even saw a tobacco plant let alone one in bloom. Tobacco seeds are
very tiny, about as fine as ground pepper so I'm told. Perhaps I could
then allow my plants to go to seed and then harvest just the seeds.
From my understanding, each pod contains about 100 seeds. That's a lot
of seeds from a few plants! The seeds could then be used as a barter
item in a future economy that seems to be getting worse with each
passing week month and year. There are a lot of tobacco users out there
who can't buy their tobacco products when they don't have jobs. Smoke
some, perhaps. Harvest seed to barter, perhaps. Seems to me that
this plant could have lot's of possibilities now and in the future.

Rich

The Amish in Lancaster county Pa. grew/grow lots of Tobacco.

http://www.fotosearch.com/STK021/ajn13047/

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.sheep.com/sounds/baasheep1.wav

Old 25-02-2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 24, 9:36*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I've also thought about this. *The tobacco I'll be growing is a big
beautiful plant with lush green leaves and beautiful flowers. *I could
place a few at the end of my garden for decorative purposes and also as
a conservation piece. *I don't think many folks here in the north east
ever even saw a tobacco plant let alone one in bloom. *Tobacco seeds are
very tiny, about as fine as ground pepper so I'm told. *Perhaps I could
then allow my plants to go to seed and then harvest just the seeds.
From my understanding, *each pod contains about 100 seeds. *That's a lot
of seeds from a few plants! *The seeds could then be used as a barter
item in a future economy that seems to be getting worse with each
passing week month and year. *There are a lot of tobacco users out there
who can't buy their tobacco products when they don't have jobs. *Smoke
some, *perhaps. *Harvest seed to barter, *perhaps. *Seems to me that
this plant could have lot's of possibilities now and in the future.

Rich

Haven't you ever seen all the covered tobacco fields in CT? I worked
in them one summer as a kid, Miles & miles of gauze tents. They put
them in barns with slats in the sides that they could open, but I dont
know when or why they were opened. Tied in bundles, actually sewn onto
lathes, and hung.
Maybe some research could tell you what their method is. Each plant is
tied to an overhead wire running the length iof the row. Sometimes we
coulodn't see the end of the row til we were halfway down it. as the
plant grows we went down the rows twisting the string in between the
leaves to keep them friom breaking. falling over in the wind. They
were used mainly as cigar wrappers.
Good luck, and btw I think it is legal to grow a certain amount of
tobacco for personal use.
Nan in DE
Old 25-02-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 07:45:20 -0800 (PST), Nanzi
wrote:

On Feb 24, 9:36*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I've also thought about this. *The tobacco I'll be growing is a big
beautiful plant with lush green leaves and beautiful flowers. *I could
place a few at the end of my garden for decorative purposes and also as
a conservation piece. *I don't think many folks here in the north east
ever even saw a tobacco plant let alone one in bloom. *Tobacco seeds are
very tiny, about as fine as ground pepper so I'm told. *Perhaps I could
then allow my plants to go to seed and then harvest just the seeds.
From my understanding, *each pod contains about 100 seeds. *That's a lot
[...]

I don't know why any intelligent person would want to grow tobacco but
it's done all the time.
http://www.growtobacco.net/
Old 25-02-2010, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
As the price of tobacco products shoot sky high it seems more people are
taking an interest in growing their own. I'm considering a dozen or two
plants this spring myself.

If you or a nearby neighbor has a garden that grows tomatoes, please
don't grow tobacco. It often carries the tobacco mosaic virus which
will transmit to tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, some flowers and other
food crops.

gloria p
Old 26-02-2010, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:12:06 -0500, brooklyn1
I don't know why any intelligent person would want to grow tobacco but
it's done all the time.
http://www.growtobacco.net/

Tobacco is evil. My federal health care plan is simple and cost
nothing: No more tobacco.

I've heard it called "The native American Indian's revenge to white
man."

Old 26-02-2010, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"gloria.p" wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
As the price of tobacco products shoot sky high it seems more people are
taking an interest in growing their own. I'm considering a dozen or two
plants this spring myself.

If you or a nearby neighbor has a garden that grows tomatoes, please
don't grow tobacco. It often carries the tobacco mosaic virus which
will transmit to tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, some flowers and other
food crops.

gloria p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_mosaic_virus
Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) is an RNA virus that infects plants,
especially tobacco and other members of the family Solanaceae.

Solanaceae is a family of flowering plants that contains a number of
important agricultural plants as well as many toxic plants. . .
The family includes . . . Capsicum (paprika, chili pepper), Solanum
(potato, tomato, aubergine or eggplant)

If your willing to lose your and your neighbor's chili peppers,
potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplants it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you could be a good guy, and help save a little bit of the world
while your at it: and grow organic.

Old 27-02-2010, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:12:06 -0500, brooklyn1
I don't know why any intelligent person would want to grow tobacco but
it's done all the time.
http://www.growtobacco.net/

Tobacco is evil. My federal health care plan is simple and cost
nothing: No more tobacco.

I've heard it called "The native American Indian's revenge to white
man."

Tobacco taxes more than pay for government insured health care. It's the
lack of tax on Doritos and Big Macs that make government backed health
insurance schemes costly.

Old 27-02-2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:52:54 -0500, "The Henchman"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:12:06 -0500, brooklyn1
I don't know why any intelligent person would want to grow tobacco but
it's done all the time.
http://www.growtobacco.net/

Tobacco is evil. My federal health care plan is simple and cost
nothing: No more tobacco.

I've heard it called "The native American Indian's revenge to white
man."

Tobacco taxes more than pay for government insured health care. It's the
lack of tax on Doritos and Big Macs that make government backed health
insurance schemes costly.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...s/2009/09/19/s
oda_tax_its_the_real_thing/

How about a tax on each bottle of soda also?

Money talks (so says the supreme court)

Charlie

Just as long as masturbation falls under the tax mans radar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_tax

Bill

Old 27-02-2010, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...cles/2009/09/1
9/s
oda_tax_its_the_real_thing/

How about a tax on each bottle of soda also?

Money talks (so says the supreme court)

Charlie

Just as long as masturbation falls under the tax mans radar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_tax

Bill

OMG, you're a wicked feller, to make me pee a little like this.
Perhaps we should impose a tax upon you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk9kDbRIEvg

Charlie

Well, there goes the level ;O)

Old 28-02-2010, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

that comment should flush Charlie out

rob