GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Transplanting Worms To Your Garden Bed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/190102-transplanting-worms-your-garden-bed.html)

EVP MAN 13-03-2010 07:20 AM

Transplanting Worms To Your Garden Bed

Here in PA we have large worms we call nightcrawlers. Many people say
that rototilling kills many worms in your garden bed and I can
understand that. But if the rest of your lawn is loaded with worms,
couldn't it be possible to just catch them at night and transfer them to
the garden bed? In my area, it's very easy to catch 100 plus worms a
night. Once you placed them in the bed, it's my opinion that they
would enjoy the freshly tilled soil and continue to reside as well as
reproduce there.

Rich

Phisherman[_3_] 13-03-2010 04:56 PM

Transplanting Worms To Your Garden Bed

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 02:20:18 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

Here in PA we have large worms we call nightcrawlers. Many people say
that rototilling kills many worms in your garden bed and I can
understand that. But if the rest of your lawn is loaded with worms,
couldn't it be possible to just catch them at night and transfer them to
the garden bed? In my area, it's very easy to catch 100 plus worms a
night. Once you placed them in the bed, it's my opinion that they
would enjoy the freshly tilled soil and continue to reside as well as
reproduce there.

Rich

Make a pile of moist leaves, wait a week or two, and the worms will
come or add the worms to the heap. They will quickly reproduce under
ideal conditions. You can supplement their diet with cornmeal.
Without food they will search for better pastures.