GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning night blooming jasmine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/190121-pruning-night-blooming-jasmine.html)

Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. 14-03-2010 03:42 AM

Pruning night blooming jasmine

My night blooming jasmine is in the Houston area, in a large pot, is about 4' tall and is
just now starting to show some new leaves - although rather few.

Despite being brought in to the garage when we our temps dropped into the 20's, appears
the outer portions of most branches are dried out and brown - and there is no green wood.

How much should I prune the limbs back?

Interesting to note the Poet's jasmine that is right next to this one had green leaves all
through the winter - perhaps because it is a vine instead of a shrub.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Regards,

Doug

beecrofter[_2_] 14-03-2010 03:10 PM

Pruning night blooming jasmine

On Mar 13, 11:42*pm, "Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr."
wrote:
My night blooming jasmine is in the Houston area, in a large pot, is about 4' tall and is
just now starting to show some new leaves - although rather few.

Despite being brought in to the garage when we our temps dropped into the 20's, appears
the outer portions of most branches are dried out and brown - and there is no green wood.

How much should I prune the limbs back?

Interesting to note the Poet's jasmine that is right next to this one had green leaves all
through the winter - perhaps because it is a vine instead of a shrub.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Regards,

Doug

Cut back to sound wood, scratch the bark -green means alive and bone
white or brown is dead.