Old 16-03-2010, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bark eaten off apple tree - advice?

We have an 8 year old Macintosh apple tree that has been bearing
beautifully for several years. Now, this winter, we see that
something (rabbits we suspect) has eaten the bark off 6-8 inches up
from the ground. Is there any hope for this tree? Any way to save
it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne
Old 16-03-2010, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"wayne.deloach" wrote:

We have an 8 year old Macintosh apple tree that has been bearing
beautifully for several years. Now, this winter, we see that
something (rabbits we suspect) has eaten the bark off 6-8 inches up
from the ground. Is there any hope for this tree? Any way to save
it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

If when other fruit tres nearby are leafing and blossoming but yours
isn't then your tree is kaput. But meanwhile I'd place a barrier
around the trunk to deter whatever ate it from continuing... should
have fenced the minute you noticed, even before posting here.
Old 16-03-2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 3/16/2010 4:53 PM, Una wrote:
wrote:
something (rabbits we suspect) has eaten the bark off 6-8 inches up
from the ground. Is there any hope for this tree?

Depends how far around the tree the cambium is missing. If it has been
stripped all the way around, there is no hope. Cambium is the inner
bark that carries water and nutrients between the roots and the crown.

If you cut down the tree you may get root suckers but unless you are
completely sure the tree grew on its own roots (was not grafted), you
probably should not cultivate the suckers. The root stock rarely
produces satisfactory fruit.

Una

That would be my advice, too. I had rabbits do in an almond tree and
sucker from root stock was a not, too good peach. Finally cut it down.
Rabbits will do this when snow piles up and there is nothing else to eat.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/ven...e/r/bl31c3.htm

Gut em right away cut off head , paws pull off skin soak in salted water.

Gruesome but similar to de heading chicken and then plucking or
skinning. Hot water and resolve all that is needed.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Old 17-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered User

Smile

Charlie[_2_];880413']On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:09:53 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

Gut em right away cut off head , paws pull off skin soak in salted water.

Gruesome but similar to de heading chicken and then plucking or
skinning. Hot water and resolve all that is needed.

I gotta add, Bill, for those who don't have old-fashioned knowledge
(and I know you do), have a care about tularemia
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia ).... and fleas. Plus, if
you have a sensitive tummy related to smells, dress 'em outside.

Rabberts die easily, a pellet gun will take care of them with little
noise to alert the cute-bunny-lovers.

Charlie

“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

there are a lot of things sold on the market that u can put on your tree
but i would fence the area in as brooklyn1 mentioned, cut off any jagged edges or ripped up bark as carefully as u can.
other than that all u can do is wait and keep talking to your tree and yes
i do mean talking even though i know there are some that dont believe in it.
i think most gardeners talk with their plants, trees, etc and if they say they dont well who am i to say if they do or not lolol.
good luck with your tree. cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 17-03-2010, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

-
[...]

Thanks for the responses. I kind of think the tree is done for, too,
but will wait to see what happens when the others start to leaf out.
And I appreciate the recipe for rabbit stew.

Wayne
Old 18-03-2010, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

-
[...]

Wayne- Hide quoted text -

If the bark is stripped all the way around the tree, I wonder if it
would be possible to graft a couple of strips of bark cut from higher
off the trunk in a vertical direction to bridge the gap and get a
complete cambium again.

Paul
Old 22-03-2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pavel314 wrote:

On Mar 17, 11:55Â*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:18Â*am, sockiescat sockiescat.

wrote:

-
Gut em right away cut off head , paws pull off skin soak in salted
water.

Gruesome but similar to de heading chicken and then plucking or
skinning. Â*Hot water and resolve Â*all that is needed.-

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia).... and fleas. Â*Plus, if
[...]

Thanks for the responses. Â*I kind of think the tree is done for, too,
but will wait to see what happens when the others start to leaf out.
And I appreciate the recipe for rabbit stew.

Wayne- Hide quoted text -

If the bark is stripped all the way around the tree, I wonder if it
would be possible to graft a couple of strips of bark cut from higher
off the trunk in a vertical direction to bridge the gap and get a
complete cambium again.

Paul

If that is what you want to do search bridge graft on google. A bunch of
interesting links come up. I've never tried it myself. -DOug
Old 23-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
We have an 8 year old Macintosh apple tree that has been bearing
beautifully for several years. Now, this winter, we see that
something (rabbits we suspect) has eaten the bark off 6-8 inches up
from the ground. Is there any hope for this tree? Any way to save
it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne
why don't you try to put some barrier like putting fence around it, enough that would protect it from the apple-eating-rabbits.
__________________
vegetable garden

Old 25-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Registered User

Red face

Hi...All...
I have read this Apple is very important is our health But you have an 8 year old Macintosh apple tree that is great
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Old 25-03-2010, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Reminder as to why we grow our own

In article ,
maxbill89 wrote:

Hi...All...
I have read this Apple is very important is our health But you have
an 8 year old Macintosh apple tree that is great
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
thank you

http://www.foodnews.org/fulllist.php

RANK, FRUIT OR VEGGIE, SCORE
1 (worst) Peach 100 (highest pesticide load)
2 Apple 93
3 Sweet Bell Pepper 83
4 Celery 82
5 Nectarine 81
6 Strawberries 80
7 Cherries 73
8 Kale 69
9 Lettuce 67
10 Grapes - Imported 66
11 Carrot 63
12 Pear 63
13 Collard Greens 60
14 Spinach 58
15 Potato 56
16 Green Beans 53
17 Summer Squash 53
18 Pepper 51
19 Cucumber 50
20 Raspberries 46
21 Grapes - Domestic 44
22 Plum 44
23 Orange 44
24 Cauliflower 39
25 Tangerine 37
26 Mushrooms 36
27 Banana 34
28 Winter Squash 34
29 Cantaloupe 33
30 Cranberries 33
31 Honeydew Melon 30
32 Grapefruit 29
33 Sweet Potato 29
34 Tomato 29
35 Broccoli 28
36 Watermelon 26
37 Papaya 20
38 Eggplant 20
39 Cabbage 17
40 Kiwi 13
41 Sweet Peas - Frozen 10
42 Asparagus 10
43 Mango 9
44 Pineapple 7
45 Sweet Corn - Frozen 2
46 Avocado 1
47 (best) Onion 1 (lowest pesticide load)

If you already grow your own, and want it to be as good as commercial
produce, go to a nursery or hardware store, purchase the pesticide of
your choice, and spray on fruit and veggies to taste.

Old 26-03-2010, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
maxbill89 wrote:

[...]

Good to see avocados are low on the list, since I cannot grow them in
Michigan. I eat about 3 avocados per week, bananas 3 per month.

Also, thanks for the reminding me to prune my apple trees, now is the
time for pruning

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

[IMG] code is On

Bark off any Tree drcensor Orchids 1 25-01-2016 10:33 AM
Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 10:32 AM
Insect Spray For Tree Suggestions, Please. (leaves being eaten) Robert11 Lawns 5 01-05-2006 11:56 PM
Leaves on Apricot Tree being eaten John Australia 2 24-11-2004 02:21 PM
Spots on bark of elm tree and dogwood tree Janice Gardening 2 28-06-2004 02:02 AM