GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Will holly eaten by deer survive? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/190224-will-holly-eaten-deer-survive.html)

Curmudgeon 19-03-2010 08:43 PM

Will holly eaten by deer survive?

We have a small Nellie Stevens that was stripped bare by deer this
winter - literally every leaf is gone. Is there a chance this tree
will survive?

brooklyn1 19-03-2010 08:54 PM

Will holly eaten by deer survive?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:43:51 -0700 (PDT), Curmudgeon
wrote:

We have a small Nellie Stevens that was stripped bare by deer this
winter - literally every leaf is gone. Is there a chance this tree
will survive?

The deer are hoping it will survive so they can use it for a feeding
station again next winter.

Bill who putters 19-03-2010 09:01 PM

Will holly eaten by deer survive?

In article
,
Curmudgeon wrote:

We have a small Nellie Stevens that was stripped bare by deer this
winter - literally every leaf is gone. Is there a chance this tree
will survive?

Yes

I have a Dr Kasab and a unnamed male in my back yard.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Phisherman[_3_] 19-03-2010 11:23 PM

wrote:

We have a small Nellie Stevens that was stripped bare by deer this
winter - literally every leaf is gone. Is there a chance this tree
will survive?

Remove it. Deer remember where they ate and will return. I pulled
a lot of plants out, all half eaten by deer and replaced that with
cactus, herbs, and sedum.

gloria.p 19-03-2010 11:25 PM

wrote:

We have a small Nellie Stevens that was stripped bare by deer this
winter - literally every leaf is gone. Is there a chance this tree
will survive?

The deer are hoping it will survive so they can use it for a feeding
station again next winter.

"Those who eat and run away will live to eat another day."

If it DOES survive, you'd better cage it in heavy wire next winter and
provide food for the deer before they start on some other desirable plants.

gloria p

Frank 19-03-2010 11:45 PM

wrote:

We have a small Nellie Stevens that was stripped bare by deer this
winter - literally every leaf is gone. Is there a chance this tree
will survive?

Remove it. Deer remember where they ate and will return. I pulled
a lot of plants out, all half eaten by deer and replaced that with
cactus, herbs, and sedum.

Hollies are said to be deer resistant. I know they don't eat mine.
But when snow cover is heavy and deer are starving they will eat
anything they can get at. They chewed up the arborvitae fencing my sons
pool.

Deer will actually starve to death with a stomach full of food that does
not supply nutrients.

Hollies are probably safe for now and may come back but if small and
winter's severe, may need fencing or netting next year.

[email protected] 20-03-2010 01:26 AM

wrote:

We have a small Nellie Stevens that was stripped bare by deer this
winter - literally every leaf is gone. Is there a chance this tree
will survive?

The deer are hoping it will survive so they can use it for a feeding
station again next winter.

"Those who eat and run away will live to eat another day."

If it DOES survive, you'd better cage it in heavy wire next winter and
provide food for the deer before they start on some other desirable
plants.

Provide food for the deer?

I don't think you've thought your plan all the way through...