GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help needed: how to plant grass seeds by hand?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/19032-help-needed-how-plant-grass-seeds-hand.html)

jeffrey 29-04-2003 12:32 AM

Help needed: how to plant grass seeds by hand??

we have a small area in backyard(around 75 sq. feet) where we'd like to
plant grass. Have fertilized area and have seed.. but seems ridiculous
to buy a grass-spreading/seeding machine for 75 sq. feet.
All advice welcomed on how to seed the area by hand.

Phisherman 29-04-2003 02:20 AM

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:09:02 -0700, jeffrey wrote:

we have a small area in backyard(around 75 sq. feet) where we'd like to
plant grass. Have fertilized area and have seed.. but seems ridiculous
to buy a grass-spreading/seeding machine for 75 sq. feet.
All advice welcomed on how to seed the area by hand.

Buy one of the hand-held broadcast spreaders. They are inexpensive,
small, easy to clean and great for seeding/fertilizing. I use one to
fertilize deciduous trees during the winter months. They are useful
to get rid of the last bit of fertilizer in a larger spreader. Great
for fertilizing shrubs and flower beds. You can get by with careful
hand seeding, but hand fertilizing is risky with inorganic
fertilizers.

Bob 29-04-2003 05:44 PM

Help needed: how to plant grass seeds by hand??

Cut a small hole in the corner of the seed bag. Walk across the area waving
the bag back and forth to disperse it as evenly as possible. Or pour it into
a bottle or milk carton and do the same. A little practice and it will go
easily.

Bob