Old 24-03-2010, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Source for showy lady's slipper

I see several companies are offering showy lady's slippers (/
Cypripedium reginae/) for around $35. I want to get a couple for a
Mother's Day present (or maybe a late Hanukkah or birthday present).
Can anyone recommend a company to buy from (or stay away from)? Is it
true that you have to "order early--supplies are limited"?

If anyone wants to know whether they'll go to a good home, my mother
lives in the suburbs of Cleveland and has a rather woodland-like yard,
with several trees and some rhododendrons.

--
Jerry Friedman
Old 24-03-2010, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Jerry Friedman wrote:

I see several companies are offering showy lady's slippers (/
Cypripedium reginae/) for around $35. I want to get a couple for a
Mother's Day present (or maybe a late Hanukkah or birthday present).
Can anyone recommend a company to buy from (or stay away from)? Is it
true that you have to "order early--supplies are limited"?

If anyone wants to know whether they'll go to a good home, my mother
lives in the suburbs of Cleveland and has a rather woodland-like yard,
with several trees and some rhododendrons.

--
Jerry Friedman

White Flower farm has two varieties.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending
Old 24-03-2010, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Jerry Friedman wrote:
If anyone wants to know whether they'll go to a good home, my mother
lives in the suburbs of Cleveland and has a rather woodland-like yard,
with several trees and some rhododendrons.

That sounds reasonably suitable, but this is a difficult garden plant.
Site selection is very important.

I received one as a gift a few years ago and was stumped where to put
it. Nowhere on my property did I have a site suitable for it, if the
instructions that came with it were to be believed. I did the best I
could but the plant died anyway.

Most plants being sold in catalogs now are supposed to be a hybrid of
the North American native with a cultivated asian relative. So they
are not taken from the wild but on the other hand they may yet have a
negative impact on the endangered native.

Una

Old 25-03-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 24, 12:22*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

I see several companies are offering showy lady's slippers (/
Cypripedium reginae/) for around $35. *I want to get a couple for a
Mother's Day present (or maybe a late Hanukkah or birthday present).
Can anyone recommend a company to buy from (or stay away from)? *Is it
true that you have to "order early--supplies are limited"?

If anyone wants to know whether they'll go to a good home, my mother
lives in the suburbs of Cleveland and has a rather woodland-like yard,
with several trees and some rhododendrons.

--
JerryFriedman

White Flower farm has two varieties.

For $85 rather than $35, though, unfortunately.

--
Jerry Friedman
Old 25-03-2010, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 24, 2:09*pm, (Una) wrote:
wrote:

If anyone wants to know whether they'll go to a good home, my mother
lives in the suburbs of Cleveland and has a rather woodland-like yard,
with several trees and some rhododendrons.

That sounds reasonably suitable, but this is a difficult garden plant.
Site selection is very important.

I received one as a gift a few years ago and was stumped where to put
it. *Nowhere on my property did I have a site suitable for it, if the
instructions that came with it were to be believed. *I did the best I
could but the plant died anyway.

Hm. I've been reading about site selection, and Mom has spots that I
think should work--shaded by deciduous trees in the morning and by a
building in the afternoon.

Most plants being sold in catalogs now are supposed to be a hybrid of
the North American native with a cultivated asian relative.

Really? Some of the companies seemed to be quite clear that they were
selling both the native species and hybrids. For instance,

http://www.hillsidenursery.biz/orchids.htm

So they
are not taken from the wild but on the other hand they may yet have a
negative impact on the endangered native.

Interesting thought, which I hadn't seen mentioned anywhere. I'll be
careful to get something clearly stated to be the species.

This plant isn't endangered on the national level, but according to
the Forest Service, "almost every state" where it occurs lists it as
endangered or threatened.

--
Jerry Friedman

Old 25-03-2010, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

I too see the websites that claim they rescue plants from construction
sites. I'd like to see permits to that effect. Conservation groups
can get permits, but not easily. I am very suspicious about commercial
sales of endangered plants collected in the wild.

The North American natives are a problem in another respect. They are
notorious for not showing above ground for years at a time (kind of
like cicadas). In deep woods that may not matter, but in a garden it
does. Is your mom likely to remember the plant is there and protect
a bare spot for it, for years?

Instead of this highly finicky orchid, how about a hardy cyclamen?

Una