GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange black and white galls on Japanese Maple (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/19060-re-strange-black-white-galls-japanese-maple.html)

Marley1372 29-04-2003 02:32 AM

Strange black and white galls on Japanese Maple

The photo wont load on your page. Then it asks to download a file that looks
sort of suspicious.

Toad

Tom Jaszewski 29-04-2003 03:32 AM

Strange black and white galls on Japanese Maple

Hey Toad, it's your computer that's suspicious, it loads fine. :)

On 29 Apr 2003 01:17:21 GMT, (Marley1372) wrote:

The photo wont load on your page. Then it asks to download a file that looks
sort of suspicious.

Toad

"Nature, left alone, is in perfect balance.
Harmful insects and plant diseases are always present,
but do not occur in nature to an extent which requires the use of poisonous chemicals.
The sensible approach to disease and insect control is to grow sturdy crops in a healthy environment."

Masanobu Fukuoka, One Straw Revolution--1978

Fleemo 29-04-2003 10:08 AM

Tom Jaszewski wrote in message . ..
Hey Toad, it's your computer that's suspicious, it loads fine. :)

On 29 Apr 2003 01:17:21 GMT, (Marley1372) wrote:

The photo wont load on your page. Then it asks to download a file that looks
sort of suspicious.

Toad

Ya know, I think I was having some weird trouble with my server for a
while today, but all seems to be fine now. I'm not sure what the
"suspicious file" thang you mentioend was was all about. But the
photo of these strange galls is displaying fine now.

Pam 29-04-2003 03:20 PM

Strange black and white galls on Japanese Maple

Fleemo wrote:

While admiring the nice new foliage on my japanese maple, I noticed a
few strange looking galls on the bark of the tree. They are a about
the size of a pistacho shell, and are white with black checks. A
photo can be found at http://www.inhouzemusic.com/zzz/gall.html

Any clue as to what these strange little balls are? Insect eggs
perhaps? Are they detrimental to the health of the tree?

Thanks in advance.

Can you scrape them off easily? As best as I can tell from the photo,
they look suspiciously like a form of scale....

pam - gardengal

Zemedelec 29-04-2003 05:44 PM

Strange black and white galls on Japanese Maple

Maybe they're suffering from dendrophilia. The gals, I mean. Oh, you said
GALLS?
zemedelec