GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/190679-decorative-cascading-plant-hanging-pot.html)

Billy[_10_] 08-04-2010 09:17 PM

Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

In article , (Una) wrote:

Tomato?

Una

That is a very creative idea, as long as the birds don't develop a taste
for tomatoes. It would only have a couple of quarts (litres) of soil to
grow in though. A very intriguing idea.

Thank you,

- Billy
--
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/6...e_us_military/

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 08-04-2010 11:18 PM

Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
I'm looking for a perennial cascading plant for a hanging pot. It
need to descend at least a foot or more to cover an attached bird
bath. Be nice if it had flowers. Any ideas?

One of my favourites in this category is clerodendron tomsoniae
(spelling?). I forget exactly where you are but I am pretty sure it
is too cold to grow it outdoors. I guess you are describing
outdoors. Oh well I just love the combination of flowers and
folliage, colour and form. Maybe if you have a hothouse.

David

I'm in a USDA Hardiness Zone: 9

The Clerodendrum thomsoniae, USDA Hardiness Zone: 10 to 11
Nice plant but it is a climber, not a cascader.
Thanks.

I have grown it as a cascader in a hanging basket where it grew well and
looked great, it had multiple growing points and hung down all around about
60cm (2 ft in primitive measure) or more.

David

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 08-04-2010 11:19 PM

Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

Una wrote:
Tomato?

Una

Nice but not perennial.

David

Billy[_10_] 09-04-2010 12:58 AM

Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Una wrote:
Tomato?

Una

Nice but not perennial.

David

Some others weren't as well. I'm not stuck on perennial. I just tink it
would be more convenient.
--
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/6...e_us_military/

Billy[_10_] 09-04-2010 01:03 AM

Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

It's a beautiful plant, but it would have to come in during the winter,
and after Feb.,it would be competing for the grow lights.
--
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/6...e_us_military/

mleblanca 09-04-2010 02:27 AM

Decorative cascading plant for hanging pot

On Apr 8, 1:11*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*mleblanca wrote:

Emilie,
thanks for some options. I'm looking them over.

Wow, G. sanguineum 'Elke', good to region 4.

For your slugs and snails, you may want to try some "Sluggo". The Active
ingredient in it is iron (ferric) phosphate. Home despot has their own
version too, but they all seem to be about the same price. Non-toxic to
kids and pets (unless you have a pet slug;O).

- Billy

Yes. Thanks Billy. In fact I do use Sluggo, but I am all out of it and
as it's
pretty expensive was hoping not to buy any this spring, and make it to
the
time of great heat when s&s go to sleep.
Em

Partizannka 28-10-2010 03:50 PM

Yap, that's right, all the tomatoes in my garden are eaten by pheasants ((