GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhododendron - Lime haters? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/190726-rhododendron-lime-haters.html)

atropica 10-04-2010 08:05 AM

Rhododendron - Lime haters?

I would love to grow a Rhododendron sinogrande but my soil PH is around 6.5 (about the same as rainwater). The RHS recommend a soil ph for Rhododendron of between 4.5 and 5.5. Does it really matter that much?

Phisherman[_3_] 11-04-2010 03:28 AM

Rhododendron - Lime haters?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 03:05:33 -0400, atropica
wrote:

I would love to grow a Rhododendron sinogrande but my soil PH is around
6.5 (about the same as rainwater). The RHS recommend a soil ph for
Rhododendron of between 4.5 and 5.5. Does it really matter that much?

For best results, yes. You can mulch with peat moss to help keep a
low pH.

gloria.p 11-04-2010 03:36 AM

Rhododendron - Lime haters?

wrote:

I would love to grow a Rhododendron sinogrande but my soil PH is around
6.5 (about the same as rainwater). The RHS recommend a soil ph for
Rhododendron of between 4.5 and 5.5. Does it really matter that much?

For best results, yes. You can mulch with peat moss to help keep a
low pH.

Or use an acid-type fertilizer. It's also good on azaleas, hollys, and
various other evergreens.

gloria p