Old 10-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Registered User

Default Extreme Makeover - Extreme Novice

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum as you can see but I'm hoping to stick around and get some help off you experts on here regarding hints and tips for my back garden. Background story is, we bought a house 2.5 years ago with a nice and big south facing back garden. The previous owner was retired and she took great care of her garden until we arrived. I'm not saying I neglected it, I mow it all the time, kill weeds prune rose bushes and that sort of thing. My problem is, I'm just not experienced enough when it comes to the workings of the soil, choice of plants for certain seasons and what I can generally do to make things look better and hopefully get the garden back to somewhere near it's former glory. I will attach a before and after pic of the garden and I would love it if you could suggest some things for me. I'm thinking of getting plants planted in the beds that return each year. I already have daffs that are beautiful but they go fairly soon and then I'm left with empty beds which is not attractive at all. Also, the beds are quite flat, there's not a lot of soil, will I plant some suggested plants, throw some compost over these and then finish with some woodchips to keep the weeds down? Would you agree with that? Also, What would you suggest for greener lawns? I seem to have small pale 'hay' like patches on the lawn which take away the look of it. Is there a green feed you can use to brighten these patches up? Finally (for now ), I would love some more rose bushes, how big do you buy these in a garden centre and how long before they bloom into a big rose bush?

Thanks and I really appreciate your time and effort.
Ger

EDIT: IT seems I haven't got a current pic of the garden so I'll post the garden the way it used to look and how I'd like it to look today.
Attached Thumbnails
Extreme Makeover - Extreme Novice-rear-garden.jpg
Old 12-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered User

Smile

ger_ryan22;883026]Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum as you can see but I'm hoping to stick around and get some help off you experts on here regarding hints and tips for my back garden. Background story is, we bought a house 2.5 years ago with a nice and big south facing back garden. The previous owner was retired and she took great care of her garden until we arrived. I'm not saying I neglected it, I mow it all the time, kill weeds prune rose bushes and that sort of thing. My problem is, I'm just not experienced enough when it comes to the workings of the soil, choice of plants for certain seasons and what I can generally do to make things look better and hopefully get the garden back to somewhere near it's former glory. I will attach a before and after pic of the garden and I would love it if you could suggest some things for me. I'm thinking of getting plants planted in the beds that return each year. I already have daffs that are beautiful but they go fairly soon and then I'm left with empty beds which is not attractive at all. Also, the beds are quite flat, there's not a lot of soil, will I plant some suggested plants, throw some compost over these and then finish with some woodchips to keep the weeds down? Would you agree with that? Also, What would you suggest for greener lawns? I seem to have small pale 'hay' like patches on the lawn which take away the look of it. Is there a green feed you can use to brighten these patches up? Finally (for now ), I would love some more rose bushes, how big do you buy these in a garden centre and how long before they bloom into a big rose bush?

Thanks and I really appreciate your time and effort.
Ger

EDIT: IT seems I haven't got a current pic of the garden so I'll post the garden the way it used to look and how I'd like it to look today.

saw the pic u posted--i take it that one is how the garden used
to look? but there is no pic of how u would like the garden to look.
also are u planning on keeping the shed? and to the left hand side near your
table set there is a place that looks like a tree stump-is that what it is?
as well cant see much of the yard to the right--where u have water hose etc sitting--is that area also going to be used for your yard?
do u have plans on making flower beds wider, as well as moving bench, paving stones etc.?
what plants do u currently have in the flower beds as well what is at the very
end of your garden--as i cant make out that area.
also looks like u have a little one in the family--are u planning on setting aside a play area?
if u can clarify what u are planning on doing and what you want in plants as
well as shrubs--like do u plan on planting any herbs or adding in a veggie garden?
we might be able to help u on your choice of plants etc. and also may be able to suggest how u might set things up if we had more info.
cyaaaaa, sockiescat.