Old 19-04-2010, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Default A Bit Of Clarification Requested Re Using Lime For Lawn Grass Problem,Please. And, Re Lime Usage

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from
forming due to the now changed ph,

Or, will it (also) help kill what's there now ?

BTW: does everyone feel that the garden store lime granules are
perfectly safe to use irrespective of ph results ? Any caveats ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 19-04-2010, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/19/2010 1:52 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from
forming due to the now changed ph,

Or, will it (also) help kill what's there now ?

BTW: does everyone feel that the garden store lime granules are
perfectly safe to use irrespective of ph results ? Any caveats ?

Thanks,
Bob

My soil was acidic and probably still is but I have not checked pH after
liming with ground limestone (calcium carbonate). It was not like moss
died immediately but with time grass became predominant.
Doubt you could over lime as it takes quite a bit and limestone probably
takes a long time to react. I would only be concerned if using calcium
hydroxide or oxide which might burn things if over applied.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 4/19/2010 1:52 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

The change at the interface between the acidic soil and the limestone
base will be immediate, but it will take awhile for the limestone to
penetrate the soil. The process will be speeded up, if you keep the soil
damp.
--
- Billy
Old 19-04-2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bob wrote:

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from
forming due to the now changed ph,

Or, will it (also) help kill what's there now ?

It'll do both.

BTW: does everyone feel that the garden store lime granules are
perfectly safe to use irrespective of ph results ? Any caveats ?

Follow the instructions printed on the bag. I've always found with
any garden chemicals/amendments several smaller applications work
better than one big dump.... anytime you apply anything to your garden
pretend you're salting soup for guests.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:52:22 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from
forming due to the now changed ph,

Or, will it (also) help kill what's there now ?

BTW: does everyone feel that the garden store lime granules are
perfectly safe to use irrespective of ph results ? Any caveats ?

Thanks,
Bob

The higher pH will discourage new growth and slow down established
moss. You can use agricultural lime (a fast-acting powder) or the slow
release granules. Wait 6 months, check the pH again, reapply if
needed.

Old 20-04-2010, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from
forming due to the now changed ph,

Or, will it (also) help kill what's there now ?

BTW: does everyone feel that the garden store lime granules are
perfectly safe to use irrespective of ph results ? Any caveats ?

Thanks,
Bob

Perfectly safe irrespective of pH results - no. With a little care with
dose and allowing time for the stuff to act - probably quite safe. It would
be possible to overdose to the point where the soil went quite alkaline and
then few plants would grow but you would have to be profligate. You can get
a dye indicator pH testing kit for a few dollars that is quite accurate
enough for the purpose and it will do many tests. Such a thing is handy to
have in the garden.

David

Old 20-04-2010, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from forming
due to the now changed ph,

Or, will it (also) help kill what's there now ?

BTW: does everyone feel that the garden store lime granules are perfectly
safe to use irrespective of ph results ? Any caveats ?

Thanks,
Bob

You could spped things up by raking up the moss and seeding with grass seed
after you have corrected to ph.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from
forming due to the now changed ph,

I find that it gives the grass an advantage, but does not kill the moss. Ferrous
sulphate will kill the moss.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from
forming due to the now changed ph,

I find that it gives the grass an advantage, but does not kill the moss.
Ferrous
sulphate will kill the moss.

Other uses
In horticulture it is used for treating iron chlorosis.[3] Although not
as rapid-acting as iron chelate, its effects are longer-lasting. It can
be mixed with compost and dug into to the soil to create a store which
can last for years.[4]

It is also used as a lawn conditioner,[4]

and moss killer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(II)_sulfate
--
- Billy

[IMG] code is On

Applying Calcitic Lime and/or Dolomitic Lime to the lawn and garden ZoysiaSod Lawns 1 04-04-2014 05:03 PM
Clarification please Lee Orchids 4 08-01-2007 09:11 PM
[IBC] Companion plant - clarification Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 31-10-2003 11:12 PM
Airstone usage in planted tank? carmineventura Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:09 AM
Need some clarification Todd J. Gardening 3 10-02-2003 10:55 PM