Old 23-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Registered User

Question Using Daffodil remains as part of Organic matter

Hi All,

I bought a bag of Daffodil bulbs the other year, which never found their way into the garden, subsequently, I found them in the garage today, dry to more or less crumbly, flaky dust, nothing green or living about them.

I know that Daffodils are poisonous, as living, growing, flowering bulbs, but what about after that, when they are well beyond use as bulbs and are desert dry, flaky, crumbly brown remains?

Can I put them on the garden as O/M along with the grass cuttings and manure, on ground where I grow edible veg/ fruit etc?

Thanks
Old 23-04-2010, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Using Daffodil remains as part of Organic matter

KVFilms wrote:

I bought a bag of Daffodil bulbs the other year, which never found their
way into the garden, subsequently, I found them in the garage today, dry
to more or less crumbly, flaky dust, nothing green or living about them.

I know that Daffodils are poisonous, as living, growing, flowering
bulbs, but what about after that, when they are well beyond use as bulbs
and are desert dry, flaky, crumbly brown remains?

Can I put them on the garden as O/M along with the grass cuttings and
manure, on ground where I grow edible veg/ fruit etc?

Why not sell such a valuable commodity on ebay.
Old 24-04-2010, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

KVFilms wrote:
brooklyn1;884662 Wrote:
KVFilms wrote:-

I bought a bag of Daffodil bulbs the other year, which never found
their
way into the garden, subsequently, I found them in the garage today,
dry
to more or less crumbly, flaky dust, nothing green or living about
them.

I know that Daffodils are poisonous, as living, growing, flowering
bulbs, but what about after that, when they are well beyond use as
bulbs
and are desert dry, flaky, crumbly brown remains?

Can I put them on the garden as O/M along with the grass cuttings and
manure, on ground where I grow edible veg/ fruit etc?-

Why not sell such a valuable commodity on ebay.

Too late for that. Is it safe to use as part of the organic matter? as
I'm growing edible foods on that ground. I thouhght better to use it for
something rather than send it to landfill

You may not get a definitive answer.

It appears that daffodils are poisonous to other plants as well as a
animals.

It's hard to say just how harmful the alkaloids and amino acids would
be, but since it is a relatively small amount of organic matter, it
won't matter a great deal if you toss them or compost them. Safest
option is to toss them.

I have them in large numbers here, as they are basically woodland
flowers, but they are segregated from other plant life (whether
accidentally or if they contributed to other species demise I do not know).

Jeff

Thanks

Old 24-04-2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
KVFilms wrote:

brooklyn1;884662 Wrote:
KVFilms wrote:-

[...]

That was a jolly romp. No definitive answer here I'm afraid, unless the
absence of proof is a vindication. Wild daffodils (Narcissus
pseudonarcissus - L.) are said to contain more lycorine than
domesticated daffodils. Narcissus pseudonarcissus - L. is a medical herd
used as an astringent, and an emetic.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Narcissus+pseudonarcissus
I found no reference to soil contamination from daffodils, nor
assimilation by other plants.
Toxicity in plants isn't unusual
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/plants-ag.html
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/site...58186/goldfran
k_toxicology_chap114.pdf
but the toxicity doesn't seem to be transferable.

I wouldn't worry about composting the remains of your daffodils, or
using their bed for use in food crops.
--
- Billy

Old 24-04-2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

KVFilms wrote:
brooklyn1;884662 Wrote:
KVFilms wrote:-

[...]

Jeff, can you give me a citation on the toxicity of daffodils for other
plants.
You may want to look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycorine for a
description of the compound in question, lycorine. The term poisonous, I
feel, is an unfortunate term, since to me, poisonous means deadly.
Apparently, to the greater world, it means something that elicits an
unfortunate response.
The ultimate question is can this toxicity be transfered from the
daffodil to food crop, which I have tried to answer in my own post on
this subject.

Anyway, a citation, please, if you have it.

Thank you,
--
- Billy
Old 24-04-2010, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:29:49 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

KVFilms wrote:
brooklyn1;884662 Wrote:
KVFilms wrote:-

[...]

Daffodils as they reproduce crowd out other plants.

Citation:
http://www.smartlyrics.com/Song34155...rs-lyrics.aspx

Old 24-04-2010, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Using Daffodil remains as part of Organic matter#2

In article
,
Billy wrote:

That was a jolly romp. No definitive answer here I'm afraid, unless the
absence of proof is a vindication.

Wild daffodils (Narcissus pseudonarcissus - L.) are said to contain more
lycorine than domesticated daffodils.

Narcissus pseudonarcissus - L. is a medical herB
used as an astringent, and an emetic.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Narcissus+pseudonarcissus

I found no reference to soil contamination from daffodils, nor
assimilation by other plants.

Toxicity in plants isn't unusual
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/plants-ag.html
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/site...58186/goldfran
k_toxicology_chap114.pdf
but the toxicity doesn't seem to be transferable to other plants, or
unless it is consumed.

Old 24-04-2010, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

KVFilms wrote:
brooklyn1;884662 Wrote:
KVFilms wrote:-

[...]

I didn't see anything regarding transferring toxicity, it would seem
unlikely.

I did find this:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...rdening/102176

Daffodils are not only poisonous to people and animals, they are even
poisonous to other plants. When you place them in a bouquet of flowers,
the other flowers will wilt. So if you give your mom daffodils for
Easter, keep them in a vase by themselves.

I have no idea of any implications of that, but it caught my
attention. That would be entirely different than growing them amongst
other plants.

Jeff

Thank you,

Old 24-04-2010, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

KVFilms wrote:
brooklyn1;884662 Wrote:
KVFilms wrote:-

[...]

Thanks. No one else mentions this, and there is no finding Traute, sie
ist weg.
--
- Billy

Old 24-04-2010, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

snip

Anyway, a citation, please, if you have it.

I didn't see anything regarding transferring toxicity, it would seem
unlikely.

I did find this:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...rdening/102176

Daffodils are not only poisonous to people and animals, they are even
poisonous to other plants. When you place them in a bouquet of flowers,
the other flowers will wilt. So if you give your mom daffodils for
Easter, keep them in a vase by themselves.

I have no idea of any implications of that, but it caught my
attention. That would be entirely different than growing them amongst
other plants.

Jeff

Thank you,

Thanks. No one else mentions this, and there is no finding Traute, sie
ist weg.

You are more than welcome. Daffodils appear to have a lot of calcium
oxalate, not really harmful to animal life, but there are some ties to
wilting. Ah, found this:

http://www.marthastewart.com/plant/n...us-king-alfred

Before using daffodils in arrangements with other flowers, place them in
tepid water for a few hours. Their sap contains calcium oxalate, which
will shorten the lives of other cut flowers if the daffodils aren't
first conditioned separately.

Kidney stones are largely made of the same mineral, but it seems
highly unlikely that daffodils will cause any hazard to animal life
through any possible transfers, the alkaloids appear to be the concern.
It also seems that little "leakage" is likely from daffodils to
neighboring plants. So, *probably*, nothing to worry about!

What I like about them, and mine are all of the wild variety, is that
their flowering and growing season is largely before any other plants.
Hence they can be grown very successfully in areas that will be quite
shady later. Not where you would grow vegetables, but a habitat I have
in abundance!

Jeff
Old 24-04-2010, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

snip

[...]

So it appears that the daffodile is prepared to defend herself against
other plants (oxalic acid), and animals (lycorine), and look pretty
while she does it ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 30-04-2010, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

snip

[...]

They don't seem to be toxic to grass, dandelions, dock, or mint as I have
all the above growing right next to or among my daffodils. -Doug
Old 30-04-2010, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Doug wrote:

They don't seem to be toxic to grass, dandelions, dock, or mint as I have
all the above growing right next to or among my daffodils.

That's funny... I don't think any plant is toxic to dandilions. LOL