GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bougainvillea question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/191139-bougainvillea-question.html)

noel888 27-04-2010 11:30 PM

Bougainvillea question

I have this planted in a 7" hanging pot and exposed all winter and now
spring in a south facing window, indoors. It is blooming again, the
second time as of now. It puzzles me. Last summer i had it exposed to
the sun outdoors on my patio and not once did it bloom...Shouldn't the
situation be in reversed? I suspect, when the weather gets warmer and
i put it back in the patio, it would stop blooming, until I bring it
in next Fall. BTW, the pot seems to limit its branch growth.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 28-04-2010 12:37 AM

Bougainvillea question

noel888 wrote:
I have this planted in a 7" hanging pot and exposed all winter and now
spring in a south facing window, indoors. It is blooming again, the
second time as of now. It puzzles me. Last summer i had it exposed to
the sun outdoors on my patio and not once did it bloom...Shouldn't the
situation be in reversed? I suspect, when the weather gets warmer and
i put it back in the patio, it would stop blooming, until I bring it
in next Fall. BTW, the pot seems to limit its branch growth.

Bougainvillea loves heat and full sun. I suspect there is some other
difference bewtween the two situations. For example, how often do you water
it? A small pot swinging in the wind outdoors will dry out very quickly.
The B may survive this but it will not thrive on it.

David