GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identify this weed ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/191176-identify-weed.html)

staceyb_2003 29-04-2010 11:20 AM

Identify this weed ?

1 Attachment(s)
Could anyone identify this for me its popping up everywhere under my stone bedding there's loads of them ?

Stewart Robert Hinsley 03-05-2010 09:52 AM

Identify this weed ?

In message ,
writes
and it is both ancient and has 216 chromosomes, the highest I think
found to date.

Fide Wikipedia, the Adder's Tounge Fern has approximately 1,400
chromosomes (it's hard to count them when there's that many).

Tilia nobilis has 328 (abstract to C.D. Piggott, A Review of Chromosome
Numbers in the Genus Tilia (Tiliaceae), Edinburgh Journal of Botany 59:
239-246 (2002))
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart Robert Hinsley 03-05-2010 10:16 AM

Identify this weed ?

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message ,
writes
and it is both ancient and has 216 chromosomes, the highest I think
found to date.

Fide Wikipedia, the Adder's Tounge Fern has approximately 1,400
chromosomes (it's hard to count them when there's that many).

Turns out that Wikipedia is inconsistent. Another page says 1,200 or
1,260 for Ophioglossum reticulatum - a particular species of Adder's
Tongue Fern.

Billy[_10_] 03-05-2010 07:12 PM

Identify this weed ?

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message ,
writes
and it is both ancient and has 216 chromosomes, the highest I think
found to date.

Fide Wikipedia, the Adder's Tounge Fern has approximately 1,400
chromosomes (it's hard to count them when there's that many).

Turns out that Wikipedia is inconsistent. Another page says 1,200 or
1,260 for Ophioglossum reticulatum - a particular species of Adder's
Tongue Fern.

Tilia nobilis has 328 (abstract to C.D. Piggott, A Review of Chromosome
Numbers in the Genus Tilia (Tiliaceae), Edinburgh Journal of Botany 59:
239-246 (2002))

When the leaf blade is present, there is not always a spore stalk
present, and the plants do not always send up a leaf, sometimes going
for a year to a period of years living only under the soil,

nourished by association with soil fungi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophioglossum

The soil fungi apparently arn't Ayn Rander, neo-liberal, free-market
types;O)

Fun aside, it is really very fascinating.
--
- Billy