Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lasagna Gardening In A Bucket

Lasagna gardening seems very popular these days! Why not in a bucket
then? That will indeed be this years experiment for me. Last year I
put a tomato plant in a five gallon bucket. It done well at first
producing nice fruits, but as the season progressed, the fruits got
smaller and smaller. I came to the conclusion that all the nutrients
were being washed from the soil because plants in buckets need much more
frequent watering. This got me to thinking a bit. Why not try lasagna
gardening in a bucket? What I plan on doing is this: drill drainage
holes in the bottom of a five gallon pail. Then cut a ring of cardboard
to fit inside the bottom of the pail. I will then put a thin layer of
grass clippings followed by a layer of top soil, dehydrated cow manure,
compost and then granular slow release fertilizer. I will repeat this
until the pail is filled all in very thin layers. I will only water the
tomato plant very sparingly in the morning only when it looks a bit
wilted. Hey, if lasagna gardening works so well in a bed, why not in
a bucket? It's just on a smaller scale. Your opinions please

Rich

Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Lasagna gardening doesn't use chemferts, it counts on microbes feeding
the plants roots. What is water soluble is chemferts, and that is what
will be washed away. If you are going to do lasagna gardening in a
bucket, use potting soil to which you have added about 10-20% clay soil
by volume, cover with mulch, and plant. Fish emulsion every 2 weeks.
--
- Billy
Old 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

I wasn't so much worried about this idea being organic but concentrating
more on how to retain water and fertilizer when growing in a bucket.
The more I had to water last year, the more fertilizer seemed to be
washed away right out the drain holes in the bottom of the pail. I
think this new concept would cut way down on watering thus more
fertilizer remaining in the grow pail.

Rich

Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 8, 9:18*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I wasn't so much worried about this idea being organic but concentrating
more on how to retain water and fertilizer when growing in a bucket.
The more I had to water last year, *the more fertilizer seemed to be
washed away right out the drain holes in the bottom of the pail. *I
think this new concept would cut way down on watering thus more
fertilizer remaining in the grow pail. *

Rich

How about catching the water that drains and using it again???
Nan
Old 08-05-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On May 8, 9:18*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I wasn't so much worried about this idea being organic but concentrating
more on how to retain water and fertilizer when growing in a bucket.
The more I had to water last year, *the more fertilizer seemed to be
washed away right out the drain holes in the bottom of the pail. *I
think this new concept would cut way down on watering thus more
fertilizer remaining in the grow pail. *

Rich

How about catching the water that drains and using it again???
Nan

Now that¹s a good idea !

Just would add that the larger the pot the minor the mistakes can
become. 1-1-1 in a small pot or 10-10-10 in a large pot may prevent
salts from becoming an issue. I use large pots inside just for starting
caladiums. Lots of work but I like white in my shade hosta beds. I
also just use my compost for everything. This year did not even harden
off in a cold frame. Forecast is for 36 F Sunday night fingers
crossed but we have 40+ winds today too.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Catching and reusing the water does sound like a good idea indeed but I
would like to find a way to prevent over watering in the first place. I
will be using a five gallon bucket for a single plant. If I don't over
water, there shouldn't be much to catch for re-use. Such a small
amount may evaporate quickly in the summer heat. Perhaps I should
consider getting a soil moisture tester? Can anyone recommend a decent
tester for under $50 US???

Rich

Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/7/10 10:30 PM, EVP MAN wrote:

[...]

Unless you are growing cherry tomatoes, patio tomatoes, or other
tomatoes with small fruit, a bucket is just not large enough. Tomato
plants can send their roots 10 ft down into the soil. A 15 gal can
(left over after planting a tree) might be sufficient.

If you are concerned about retaining moisture without drowning the
plants, consider my do-it-yourself potting mix. See
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. However, even
if you only use organic fertilizers, the excellent drainage of this mix
will generally mean you will lose nitrogen during the growing season.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lasagna Gardening In A Bucket (David)

Tomato plants with ten foot roots Why I'd have to hire a backhoe to
dig them out in the fall. Then I'd have a big enough hole to put an
inground swimming pool in the following spring........LOL Last year I
did plant 14 Jet Star tomato plants in the ground and I must say that
they produced a bumper crop for me to enjoy. When I pulled them up in
the fall, the roots were much closer to ten inches rather than ten feet
long It would be quite hard to double dig a garden with such a huge
root system. I pruned each of my plants to a single stem and used
stakes. Each plant averaged between 30-35 nice tomatoes.

Rich

Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 5/7/10 10:30 PM, EVP MAN wrote:

[...]

The point in lasagna gardening, is to encourage soil organisms to
nourish your plants. Besides breaking down organic matter, these
microbes also build up soil structure. As they feed, certain soil
bacteria secrete gums, waxes, and gels that hold tiny particles of earth
together. Dividing fungal cells lengthen into long fingers of hyphae
that surround crumbs of soil and bind them to each other. These
miniclumps give microbially rich soil its good "tilth": the loose,
crumbly structure that gardeners and farmers strive for. Also, these
gooey microbial by-products protect soil from drying and allow it to
hold huge volumes of water.

Soil bacteria and fungi are like small bags of fertilizer, retaining in
their_ bodies nitrogen and other nutrients they gain from root exudates
and other _organic matter (such as those sloughed-off root-tip cells).
Carrying on the _analogy, soil protozoa and nematodes act as ³fertilizer
spreaders" by releasing ,_the nutrients locked up in the bacteria and
fungi ³fertilizer bags." The nematodes and protozoa in the soil come
along and eat the bacteria and fungi in the,_ rhizosphere. They digest
what they need to survive and excrete excess carbon_ and other nutrients
as waste.

You can buy special soil fungi at nurseries, called mycorrhizal fungi,
establish themselves in a symbiotic relationship with roots, providing
them not only with-physical protection but with nutrient delivery as
well. In return for exudates, these fungi provide water, phosphorus, and
other necessary plant nutrients. These occur naturally in soil, but it
is a good idea to inoculate pots with them.

Where humus really excels is in holding nutrients. The humus molecule
illustrated below shows that, from an atom's-eye viewpoint, the face
that humus presents to the world is a bristling array of oxygen atoms.
Oxygen has a strong negative charge, and in chemistry, as in much of
life, opposites attract. Thus, humus's many negative oxygen atoms serve
as "bait" for luring lots of positively charged elements. These include
some of the most important nutrients for both plants and soil animals:
potassium, calcium, magnesium, ammonium (a nitrogen compound), copper,
zinc, manganese, and many others. Under the right conditions (in soil
with a pH near 7, that is, neither too acid nor too alkaline), humus can
pick up and store enormous quantities of positively charged nutrients.

Yes, plants are quite capable of absorbing the water-soluble minerals in
chemical fertilizer. But plants often use only 10 percent of the
fertilizer that's applied and rarely more than 50 percent. The rest
washes into the groundwater, which is why so many wells in our farmlands
are polluted with toxic levels of nitrates.

In short, a properly tuned ecological garden rarely needs soluble
fertilizers because plants and soil animals can knock nutrients loose
from humus and organic debris (or clay, another nutrient storage
source) using secretions of mild acid and enzymes. Most of the nutrients
in healthy soil are "insoluble yet available," in the words of soil
scientist William Albrecht. These nutrients, bound to organic matter or
cycling among fast-living microbes, won't' wash out of the soil yet can
be gently coaxed loose ‹ or traded for sugar secretions‹ by roots. And
the plants take up only what they need.

The ultimate extension of lasagna gardening (a.k.a. sheet mulching)
would be to grow cover crops of "green manure" between plantings. This
would add organic material and nitrogen to your soil without the need
for amendment$.

Good Gardening ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/8/10 9:44 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

Tomato plants with ten foot roots Why I'd have to hire a backhoe to
dig them out in the fall. Then I'd have a big enough hole to put an
inground swimming pool in the following spring........LOL Last year I
did plant 14 Jet Star tomato plants in the ground and I must say that
they produced a bumper crop for me to enjoy. When I pulled them up in
the fall, the roots were much closer to ten inches rather than ten feet
long It would be quite hard to double dig a garden with such a huge
root system. I pruned each of my plants to a single stem and used
stakes. Each plant averaged between 30-35 nice tomatoes.

Rich

Because tomatoes are not woody plants, the roots are not woody. When
you pulled out tomato plants and saw 10-inch roots, you left most of the
roots in the ground. Once the plants are removed or die, the deep roots
quickly rot away.

Nevertheless, tomatoes need a lot of space for their roots while growing.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Bee Happy, Big Lasagna and Free C Jeff Thies Gardening 11 02-06-2010 10:24 PM
Ginger bucket Stephen Wolstenholme United Kingdom 6 02-05-2009 11:48 PM
Lasagna Gardening--yummy GarlandGrower Gardening 7 29-04-2007 03:52 PM
Lasagna Rose Beds? Susan Solomon Roses 9 04-04-2003 01:44 AM
lasagna gardening? H United Kingdom 10 18-03-2003 08:44 AM