GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass Seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/191372-grass-seed.html)

Frank McElrath 08-05-2010 12:12 PM

Grass Seed

My bluegrass lawn here in the DC area sprouts seeds at the tips every year
about this time. Is there a way to take advantage of these free seeds by
letting the grass get a little higher between cuts, not mulching etc? It
would be nice to return those seeds to the soil to thicken up the lawn.

Thanks for any replies.

FarmI 08-05-2010 02:09 PM

Grass Seed

"Frank McElrath" wrote in message
My bluegrass lawn here in the DC area sprouts seeds at the tips every year
about this time. Is there a way to take advantage of these free seeds by
letting the grass get a little higher between cuts, not mulching etc? It
would be nice to return those seeds to the soil to thicken up the lawn.

We do that on our pasture grasses all the time here on the farm so if you
want to do it on a lawn the same principles would apply. Don't graze (in
your case, mow) until the seed heads are mature and the seed drops back onto
the ground.

brooklyn1 08-05-2010 02:44 PM

Grass Seed

On Sat, 8 May 2010 07:12:49 -0400, "Frank McElrath"
wrote:

My bluegrass lawn here in the DC area sprouts seeds at the tips every year
about this time. Is there a way to take advantage of these free seeds by
letting the grass get a little higher between cuts, not mulching etc? It
would be nice to return those seeds to the soil to thicken up the lawn.

Of course, free *fresh* seed! Let the lawn miss a cut or two, then
mow high so as not to shock the grass and to help protect the seed
from birds, without catching the clippings of course (a mulching blade
won't harm the seed).