GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mushrooms in planting containers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/191398-mushrooms-planting-containers.html)

Paul M. Cook 09-05-2010 07:13 PM

Mushrooms in planting containers

OK, so I have a pot filling up with shrooms. I just planted my cucumber
seedlings in it a couple of days ago and today it is about 1/4 full of
mushrooms. What's up with this? The planting mix is Sta-Green vegetable
and flower planting mix. I thought these mixtures were sterilized. Is this
a sign of something bad? I have no idea how the soil could have gotten
inoculated with spores. The weather has been pretty warm and dry and not
exactly good mushroom conditions.

Billy[_10_] 09-05-2010 08:10 PM

Mushrooms in planting containers

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

OK, so I have a pot filling up with shrooms. I just planted my cucumber
seedlings in it a couple of days ago and today it is about 1/4 full of
mushrooms. What's up with this? The planting mix is Sta-Green vegetable
and flower planting mix. I thought these mixtures were sterilized. Is this
a sign of something bad? I have no idea how the soil could have gotten
inoculated with spores. The weather has been pretty warm and dry and not
exactly good mushroom conditions.

Not to worry. The 'Shrooms are decomposers and will convert the organic
material in the soil into plant food.
--
- Billy