GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leatherwood Fern? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/191652-leatherwood-fern.html)

noel888 23-05-2010 07:35 PM

Leatherwood Fern?

I bought this little package at home depot garden area and was
surprised to see that the product was what looked like a half moon. I
thought that fern's could only propagate through spores? Anyhow never
heard of this type and it looks like a Boston Fern, that was what
attracted me to it in the first place. That half moon object could be
a tuber of some sort? I googled, but it does not say anything about a
tuber.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 24-05-2010 12:07 AM

Leatherwood Fern?

noel888 wrote:
I bought this little package at home depot garden area and was
surprised to see that the product was what looked like a half moon.

That is not much to go on.

I thought that fern's could only propagate through spores?

But that doesn't mean that you bought spores (which may take special
conditions to grow and develop) more likely you bought a small plant. But
what?

Anyhow never
heard of this type and it looks like a Boston Fern, that was what
attracted me to it in the first place. That half moon object could be
a tuber of some sort? I googled, but it does not say anything about a
tuber.

Not a tuber. I don't suppose this package had any description on it?
Perhaps instructions for care and feeding? Even a name would be good.

This is all rather obscure.

David

mleblanca 24-05-2010 03:22 AM

Leatherwood Fern?

On May 23, 11:35*am, noel888 wrote:
I bought this little package at home depot garden area and was
surprised to see that the product was what looked like a half moon. I
thought that fern's could only propagate through spores? Anyhow never
heard of this type and it looks like a Boston Fern, that was what
attracted me to it in the first place. That half moon object could be
a tuber of some sort? I googled, but it does not say anything about a
tuber.

Yes you are correct that ferns reproduce by spores. That is a rather
lengthy
process, so they are also grown by divisions of the crown/roots. That
is
what is usually sold in those little packages. Plant it in rich,
moist soil and
keep moist,but not overly wet. I would start it in a pot until you see
some new
growth, then keep it in the pot or set it outside as you wish.

Emilie
NorCal

noel888 24-05-2010 03:06 PM

Leatherwood Fern?

On May 23, 10:22*pm, mleblanca wrote:
[...]

Yes, apparently that is what i would be waiting for. I was just
curious...the package had no description on it...if it did, I wouldn't
be asking.