GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plants that pretty much stay in their place. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/191804-plants-pretty-much-stay-their-place.html)

Bill who putters 30-05-2010 05:56 PM

Plants that pretty much stay in their place.

I've had no problems with cone flowers or Japanese holly or maples. I
sort of like invasive plants but as I age I'm thinking more varied
pines about. SLOW GROWING.
Only thing I fight with vigor is poison ivy and some variegated
ground cover given to us years ago Oh and I also kill Ajuga on site.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Jeff Thies 01-06-2010 07:46 PM

Bill who putters wrote:
I've had no problems with cone flowers or Japanese holly or maples. I
sort of like invasive plants

I can understand that. No one ever has trouble with their honey suckle
or wisteria looking bad. Invasive plants always look strong and healthy.

but as I age I'm thinking more varied
pines about. SLOW GROWING.

So what we want is a plant with the all the vigor of an invasive
species, but a slow growing vigor.

I've given up on that and am just settling for invasive species that
the neighbors don't complain about. I'll let you know when I find one!

Jeff

Bill who putters 01-06-2010 07:51 PM

Plants that pretty much stay in their place.

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
I've had no problems with cone flowers or Japanese holly or maples. I
sort of like invasive plants

I can understand that. No one ever has trouble with their honey suckle
or wisteria looking bad. Invasive plants always look strong and healthy.

but as I age I'm thinking more varied
pines about. SLOW GROWING.

So what we want is a plant with the all the vigor of an invasive
species, but a slow growing vigor.

I've given up on that and am just settling for invasive species that
the neighbors don't complain about. I'll let you know when I find one!

Jeff

Only thing I fight with vigor is poison ivy and some variegated
ground cover given to us years ago Oh and I also kill Ajuga on site.

I'm being to think avoid vines with a few exceptions like clematis.

Jeff Thies 01-06-2010 08:52 PM

Plants that pretty much stay in their place.

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
I've had no problems with cone flowers or Japanese holly or maples. I
sort of like invasive plants

I can understand that. No one ever has trouble with their honey suckle
or wisteria looking bad. Invasive plants always look strong and healthy.

but as I age I'm thinking more varied
pines about. SLOW GROWING.

So what we want is a plant with the all the vigor of an invasive
species, but a slow growing vigor.

I've given up on that and am just settling for invasive species that
the neighbors don't complain about. I'll let you know when I find one!

Jeff

Only thing I fight with vigor is poison ivy and some variegated
ground cover given to us years ago Oh and I also kill Ajuga on site.

I'm being to think avoid vines with a few exceptions like clematis.

Vines do seem to be the worst. I've taken years battling them, and
they can take over if you miss controlling them for a month or two.

Jeff

Tony 02-06-2010 01:54 AM

Jeff Thies wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
I've had no problems with cone flowers or Japanese holly or maples.
I sort of like invasive plants

I can understand that. No one ever has trouble with their honey suckle
or wisteria looking bad. Invasive plants always look strong and healthy.

but as I age I'm thinking more varied
pines about. SLOW GROWING.

So what we want is a plant with the all the vigor of an invasive
species, but a slow growing vigor.

I've given up on that and am just settling for invasive species that
the neighbors don't complain about. I'll let you know when I find one!

Jeff

Japanese Yew is very vigorous; nothing seems to bother it. It trims
beautifully, and grows s-l-o-w-l-y, especially when it's small. FWIW.

Tony M.