Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default cordless weedeater

Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT
model with the lithium battery

thanks
Chet
Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chet wrote:
Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D

All my experiences with B&D products seem to be bad, I haven't tried
that one though. Caveat Emptor.

Jeff

Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chet said:

Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT
model with the lithium battery

I've got the B&D and really like it. Especially appreciate being able to
flip the working end around to do some edging.

I've no experience with the Worx weedeater, but I've the other Worx
products I've bought (leaf shredder, lawn mower) have impressed me
with their design and attention to detail.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Chet writes:

Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT
model with the lithium battery

I've got the B&D and really like it. Especially appreciate being able to
flip the working end around to do some edging.

It appears all the weight of that B&D is in the business end, not at
all ergonomic

The only cordless tool I've had luck with is the B&D Dust Buster,
still going strong after 10 years. With all other cordless tools (any
brand) I've found them under powered, charge lasts too short a
duration, and battery packs last at best about a year or two even when
not used.

My yard is much to big for a cordless, I'd need at least two on
charge. String trimming is my least favorite chore, those things get
heavy carrying them around in the hot sun and they're very hard on the
back. I can't imagine using a string trimmer that is only suitable
for very light trimming and a charge lasting no more than a half hour
being of any use to me. I'm very happy with my little Echo gas
trimmer... been using it regularly for seven years with no problems...
and compared to the cost of that Toys R Us B&D it's a steal. The Echo
is very ergonomic, is extremely easy starting, and uses very little
fuel... I mix up 1 gallon and it's more than enough for the entire
season for my Echo trimmer and my Echo blower... people forget that
charging cordless battery packs ain't free, and when they no longer
hold a charge (less than 2 years) they can cost almost as much as the
tool to replace, and some are not replaceable.

This is direct from Echo, they can be found for like $40 less
elsewhere... 7 years ago I paid $109 from my local authorized dealer:
http://shop.echo-usa.com/Product/Pro...?model=GT-225i

Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 2, 7:06*pm, Chet wrote:
Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT
model with the lithium battery

* *thanks
* * *Chet

Cannot comment on either but my concern would be cost and
availibility of replacement batteries.
I had a nice combo Homelite? set of hedge clipper and weed eater for
$100 which is what it would have cost to replace batteries from some
obscure internet source. I reluctantly threw out the set.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:53:04 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

On Jun 2, 7:06*pm, Chet wrote:
Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT
model with the lithium battery

* *thanks
* * *Chet

Cannot comment on either but my concern would be cost and
availibility of replacement batteries.
I had a nice combo Homelite? set of hedge clipper and weed eater for
$100 which is what it would have cost to replace batteries from some
obscure internet source. I reluctantly threw out the set.

Same here with a cordless Sears Craftsman 3/8" drill and also a
cordless B&D upright vacuum. The Craftsman drill was a gift I had
never used, never even tried it out. At the Sears store I discovered
that motorized Craftsman tools do not have the life time warranty of
hand tools. It would have cost more to buy two new battery packs than
to buy a whole new drill set, I left it on the counter. The B&D
people told me their 1 year warranty had expired 1 month ago, I was a
month too late... and the battery pack was not replaceable... I tossed
it in the trash. That's when I made up my mind to never again buy
anything cordless... outdoor extention cords are not very expensive.

The next tool I'm looking to buy is a 1/2" impact wrench (to remove
mower blades), it wont be cordless, and I don't feel like investing in
an air compressor so it will be 110v plug-in. I do have a Craftsman
tankless inflator/air compressor; works great for pumping tires, and
says it will operate a paint sprayer... I need to check if it will
operate a 1/2" impact wrench, but doubt it. When the Tractor dealer
services my machines they put the new blades on with an impact wrench,
I can't get them off with a hand wrench... I'd like to sharpen them
myself, I do have a really nice B&D bench grinder.

My inflator/compressor is about 15 years old, is similar to this new
model, but mine is even less powerful; 0.3 horsepower, and 2.2 Amps.
Even though it'll inflate a tire to 100psi I doubt it will operate an
impact wrench.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...9&blockType=G9

My mower blades are held with a 27mm bolt.

I've tried to break it free with a cheater pipe and even beating the
wrench with a big hammer, but was only able to break one free once
with the hammer. And it's not easy laying on the ground on ones back
working on a mower deck, can't get much leverage without ones legs on
the ground. I'm sure I need an impact wrench.

I looked at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-9072...85775&sr= 8-6

And these go up to 27mm:
http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand...pd_cp_hi_2_img
Old 03-06-2010, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Chet" wrote in message
Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT model
with the lithium battery

thanks

When it comes to power tools I always choose ones with easily available
batteries. Ideally one that has a common battery across the whole product
line. I've retired a few cordless tools when I could no longer get
replacement batteries for them.

Paul

Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Chet" wrote in message
Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT model
with the lithium battery

thanks

When it comes to power tools I always choose ones with easily available
batteries. Ideally one that has a common battery across the whole product
line. I've retired a few cordless tools when I could no longer get
replacement batteries for them.

Paul

That day always comes eventually, yeah :) Best way to get long life
from any cordless tool is to fully charge it, and if you don't use it
for about 4-5 months, run it out completely (wire the trigger back;
takes about 40 minutes) and then recharge it fully. I have a cordless
drill in it's 10th year of service, and I attribute it to that. But
NiCad batteries - all NiCads - eventually form an internal crystalline
latticework called "dendrites", and after that, they can't be recharged
worth a damn anymore. They "get old and die". I also have several tools
with Lithium Ion batteries, but there is a scarcity of data yet as to
how long those will last.

Tony M.