Old 24-02-2003, 05:51 PM
animaux

Default Things to do and done in the garden

Yesterday it was almost 80 degrees. We spent most of the day cleaning out the
pond, refilling it, conditioning it and dividing the water plants. They got way
out of hand in one season. If I had known that, I would have listed what I had
and traded for other plants, but alas, it's too late. Compost pile will have to
do.

I decided that since the pond area is in a contained planter next to the pool,
and anything with flowers gets into the swimming pool that, we'd use the
horsetail. I think it will be a nice, simple statement. Instead of all the
fountain grasses and other self cleaning plants, the horsetail will need no fuss
and, well, we'll see. There's no chance of it escaping its confines, so it's
safe.

I did find all my Echinacea purpurea emerging, the daylilly's as well as
Rudbeckia, poppies, larkspur, bluebonnets, Indian paintbrush, guara, prickly
poppy, and the viburnums are starting to put on growth. Redbuds are in bloom,
daffs are up, soon to show. I have two viburnums in a hedgerow, leather leaf
and V.burkwoodii. All they've done is sit in place for two growing seasons.
Hopefully, they will put on some substantial growth this year.

I did get to plant more trees on the property. Cedar elms, another redbud, a
mesquite (which I adore) and I cut back and cleaned up some more of the huge
ornamental grasses. Miscanthus sinensis 'Cabaret' is huge now. I can divide
that up into 30 plants, each, for my yard sale in a few weeks. Even the
'Gracillimus' is huge.

The next day it's warm out, which could be tomorrow, I'm going to transplant two
of our California fan palms out to the front. They are nice architectural
specimens and deserve to be up front. They do get to be 15 feet tall
here...maybe higher. I also have to divide the pups from the twisted leaf
yucca. I believe there are at least 10 pups on that one plant. I love the blue
colored foliage of that plant. Oh, I also have to find a place for the dozen
red yucca I planted from seed, two years ago. They are big enough now to go
into the ground. Where oh where to put them...

The Afghan pine we planted is putting out new growth, so all is well with that.
I'm very impressed with the wildflowers this season. We've had a lot of winter
rain and I believe if anyone is to visit Texas for the wildflower show, this
would be the year.

It's 35 degrees today and only expected to make it up to 45. You couldn't get
me out there if you bought me a down body suit! I am so looking forward to
working in the garden this year. Last year I was down for the count and in
medical treatment, but this year I am free of illness for the first time in many
years. All I have now are my alta cocker (sp?) muscles and bones, and even
those are doing just fine!

What's going on in your gardens?

Victoria
Old 24-02-2003, 08:05 PM
harrison

Hi, Victoria, I suspect that a great deal is going on in my gardem, but I
can't see it. After three days of rain and balmy temps, we stioll have about
seven inches of snowcover. I really am glad about this as my garden was
under cover even in the zero days in January. Also I am taking a twitchy
rotator cuff in the left shoulder and a grumpy back to the physical
therapist, si I rather think it's a good thing I am not tackling the garden
as yet. Indoors, my seedlings have started and soon I will be doing the
replanting two step, looking around to find pots to hold the crops.
Meanwhile my redtwig dogwood is blazingly red and I wonder if I could
possibly tackle my grapevines yet. If you know what to look for, tree buds
are swelling with each lenghtening day, and I know March and April will come
(maybe without more major snowfalls) and my garden will return again. Let my
back and shoulder be a warning to all Northern gardeners--start getting into
shape so that wonderful first day doesn't cripple you! Have fun, Victoria,
and we'll all be joining you in spirit. Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of
Boston