GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another quick pruning question..... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/192187-another-quick-pruning-question.html)

markyd3 16-06-2010 06:08 PM

Another quick pruning question.....

I have 3 or 4 of these in my garden...

They look a bit ragged as they only just survived the heavy snowfall....

My question about these is when should i prune them and to what sort of height?

Im hoping that they will then come on nice and strong for next year :-)

Cheers,

Mark

Nelly Wensdow[_2_] 17-06-2010 12:44 AM

IS this a finished Callistemon (Bottle Brush) flower

"markyd3" wrote in message

Hi Guys,

I have just bought one of these lovely flowers and dont want to kill
it!!! lol

I did a google search and found this very informative thread on here

http://tinyurl.com/2eco5tu

My question is...

Is this a finished flower

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../IMG_1672.jpg]

If so am i now ok to prune it as per the instructions on the other
thread as i have 3 or 4 flowers in this state.

Thanks for any advice you are able to give me :-)

Pretty.
I remember having a few plants that were hard to tell whether they were in
bud or were finished (hardy Geranium comes to mind). But I think these are
spent because all I see that's left are the calyxes and the pistils. See if
you can identify any ones that haven't bloomed yet, the difference should be
apparent & from then on it'll be easier to spot them. In any case you won't
kill it by pruning off blossoms, at least not any more than you would by
deadheading spent blooms....

FarmI 17-06-2010 06:15 AM

"markyd3" wrote in message

Hi Guys,

I have just bought one of these lovely flowers and dont want to kill
it!!! lol

You're more likely to kill it with kindness than anything else - they don't
like to be cossetted so don't overwater it or overfeed it.

I did a google search and found this very informative thread on here

http://tinyurl.com/2eco5tu

Hmmm - I don't do what is said there to my callistemons! Since they are
Australian plants, it'd make more sense to me to look at an Australian site.
Try:
http://www.anbg.gov.au/callistemon/index.html
http://www.australiaplants.com.au/we...eral/faqs.html

My question is...

Is this a finished flower

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../IMG_1672.jpg]

If so am i now ok to prune it as per the instructions on the other
thread as i have 3 or 4 flowers in this state.

Yes, but there is no real hurry.

markyd3 17-06-2010 11:53 AM

Thanks Guys :-)