Old 21-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Unhappy are they safe?

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default are they safe?

In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.
--
- Billy
http://radwisdom.com/essays/this-is-your-brain/
Old 21-06-2010, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

I guess I killed Banter. Biggest problem I can think of is
chlorinated water.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 21-06-2010, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

habitat wrote:
Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Raccoons will eat them. Also some birds will, too, depending on the
size of the pond.

gloria P
Old 22-06-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

I guess I killed Banter. Biggest problem I can think of is
chlorinated water.

In a pond?

Old 22-06-2010, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

habitat wrote:
Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

It depends. If the water is polluted, if it is too hot, or predatory birds
or animals can get them, or there is not enough food then no. Small shallow
ponds have the greatest risk.

David

Old 22-06-2010, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
habitat wrote:
Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

It depends. If the water is polluted, if it is too hot, or predatory
birds or animals can get them, or there is not enough food then no.
Small shallow ponds have the greatest risk.

David

Runoff from lawn chemicals (fertilizer, weed killer) is also a danger.

gloria p
Old 22-06-2010, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:02:27 +0000, habitat
wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

I have goldfish in my pond. I also have ruby reds. Both are good for
mosquito control. The fish breed, but I add a few dozen fresh ones
each year to help the gene pool. Some eventually turn a brown color
which are better at camouflage.
Old 22-06-2010, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

I guess I killed Banter. Biggest problem I can think of is
chlorinated water.

In a pond?

Sure if you have city water.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...r-conditioners.
html

I have well water no chlorine no chemicasl no filter just an air stone
and frequent water removal. Pond is over 35 years old.

Old 22-06-2010, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the
pond is deep.
--
- Billy

snakes will also go after and catch your goldfish. It's the
reason
my mother no longer has a small garden pond. It wasn't deep
enough so the fish had no escape or a place to hide. Not a
pretty
sight seeing a big ole bull snake swimming in your pond and
then crawls out with a goldfish.

Donna
in WA

Old 22-06-2010, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/21/2010 5:39 PM, gloria.p wrote:
habitat wrote:
Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?
I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Raccoons will eat them. Also some birds will, too, depending on the size
of the pond.

gloria P

I don't think that raccoons are a real problem in the UK unless someone has
them as pets. A friend with a large koi pond in Hastings had her major
problem with a very persistent heron which would hoover up fish at an
amazing rate. "Invisible" netting will pretty much take care of that
problem but it makes maintenance a real PITA.
Old 22-06-2010, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/21/2010 11:02 AM, habitat wrote:
Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

You might buy a copy of Koi Ponds & Gardens, a long-standing UK magazine.
You can easily apply what they say about koi to gold fish since they are
all just glorified carp when you get right down to it. You should be able
to find it a your local news agent or perhaps you can check at
http://koimag.co.uk It used to cost £3.25 but it may have (and probably
has) gone up since I last looked at it.
Old 22-06-2010, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

I guess I killed Banter. Biggest problem I can think of is
chlorinated water.

In a pond?

Sure if you have city water.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...r-conditioners.
html

I have well water no chlorine no chemicasl no filter just an air stone
and frequent water removal. Pond is over 35 years old.

When I think pond, I'm thinking a hole in the ground, or are we talkin'
a gentrified, plug-in kind of a deal? Even with city water, if the
addition is small enough, though pr'aps continuous, I don't see a
problem. The above site does have a conflict of interest in giving
information, and trying to make a profit at the same time. Kinda like
Northrup-Grumann, and Lockheed Martin opining about national security.
Old 22-06-2010, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
habitat wrote:

[...]

Many ways to make a pond I chose poured concrete. Some go with a
plastic liner. Some info from the 60's said lining your hole with
organic matter would form a seal. This Large Scale BTW. This was a
Russian technique.
My suggestion to future son in law with city water and liner. Purchase
cheap fish and wait a year. Plants like water hyacinth add O2 and food
but the purity aka dead water in my perspective takes time to mellow or
find its own center. With acid rain it gets more complicated too.

That site I posted wants to sell chemicals because of a chemical
problem. Round and round it goes etc.

http://www.permies.com/permaculture-...ture/gley-tech
nique-for-sealing-ponds-and-dams-and-walls

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ond+Organic +
matter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Ponds and water reflection noise movement add or make an environment
that attracts life and beauty. Worth the work.

Old 24-06-2010, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a
drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon have
left it alone. Just last night however I left 2 almost full fish food
containers outside. Of course they were empty this morning.