Old 23-06-2010, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

Old 23-06-2010, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

I'd worry about gout. I got my first case of gout from eating too many
tomatoes.

Paul

Old 23-06-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people? (Paul)

I didn't know that too many tomatoes would give you the gout but now
that you brought that to my attention, I do remember that last season,
my big toe hurt so bad for about 3 or 4 days that it felt like I broke
it. Perhaps this was a case of the gout as I heard you can get it in
the big toe. I know it sure was painful. I'll have to see if it
happens again this tomato season but I sure hope not.

Rich

Old 23-06-2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
I didn't know that too many tomatoes would give you the gout but now
that you brought that to my attention, I do remember that last season,
my big toe hurt so bad for about 3 or 4 days that it felt like I broke
it. Perhaps this was a case of the gout as I heard you can get it in
the big toe. I know it sure was painful. I'll have to see if it
happens again this tomato season but I sure hope not.

Rich

I've had gout. My doctor says the cause is excess uric acid from
protein metabolism combined with thiazide medications ("water pills")
taken to regulate blood pressure.

see http://arthritis.about.com/cs/gout/a/foodstoavoid.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090

gloria p

Old 24-06-2010, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
I didn't know that too many tomatoes would give you the gout but now
that you brought that to my attention, I do remember that last season,
my big toe hurt so bad for about 3 or 4 days that it felt like I broke
it. Perhaps this was a case of the gout as I heard you can get it in
the big toe. I know it sure was painful. I'll have to see if it
happens again this tomato season but I sure hope not.

Rich

That's certainly worth considering. But referring to your main query, I
cannot fathom two people needing more tomato plants than that if they
don't can. In fact, if they are successful plants, you almost certainly
will have tomatoes to give away (or sell). I have four tomato plants
for my wife and I. We have *plenty* of tomatoes, and we DO can!

Tony M.
Old 24-06-2010, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

Don't plant more. You will be inundated unless you are growing in hopeless
conditions.

David

Old 24-06-2010, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"gloria.p" wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
I didn't know that too many tomatoes would give you the gout but now
that you brought that to my attention, I do remember that last season,
my big toe hurt so bad for about 3 or 4 days that it felt like I broke
it. Perhaps this was a case of the gout as I heard you can get it in
the big toe. I know it sure was painful. I'll have to see if it
happens again this tomato season but I sure hope not.

Rich

I've had gout. My doctor says the cause is excess uric acid from
protein metabolism combined with thiazide medications ("water pills")
taken to regulate blood pressure.

see http://arthritis.about.com/cs/gout/a/foodstoavoid.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090

gloria p

I have had the sore toe once in a while also not due to gout.
However, I also take thiazide medication. Not for blood pressure, for
water retention (bloat). Once in while I stop taking it. I hate the dry
cotton mouth every morning. The real answer for is more sweat type
exercise in the morning.

I do not have gout, one has has a blood test to confirm it.
I love tomatoes. For a long time I use to avoid tomatoes thinking it was
the cause of my heartburns. Pizza and spaghetti was my favorite foods
but did not like me. It was gluten, not the tomatoes. I have switched to
corn pastas and rice based breads for my pizza. The corn pasta is far
better than the wheat based pasta. My pizza's are getting better but not
a good as the wheat breads. Salsa's with corn chips never bothered me.
Bring on the tomatoes

On note to EVP MAN, try and keep the thread together. Click "Follow up
to newsgroup" instead of "New Posting". Thanks

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 24-06-2010, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 23, 11:30*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. *We don't do any
caning. *I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. *We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. *Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

Google says a single plant may yeild 25 lbs of fruit. That could end
up being 625 lbs of tomatos!

Old 24-06-2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people? (Dan)

I don't have follow up to news group to click on. I'm using a web tv
unit and not a computer.

Rich

Old 24-06-2010, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

I didn't know that too many tomatoes would give you the gout but now
that you brought that to my attention, I do remember that last season,
my big toe hurt so bad for about 3 or 4 days that it felt like I broke
it. Perhaps this was a case of the gout as I heard you can get it in
the big toe. I know it sure was painful. I'll have to see if it
happens again this tomato season but I sure hope not.

Rich

Yep, gout. Be glad it was only a few days. Mine lasted 10 days. Cherry
juice, pure raw cherry juice, was the cure. It worked a miracle.

Paul

Old 24-06-2010, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"gloria.p" wrote in message
EVP MAN wrote:
I didn't know that too many tomatoes would give you the gout but now
that you brought that to my attention, I do remember that last season,
my big toe hurt so bad for about 3 or 4 days that it felt like I broke
it. Perhaps this was a case of the gout as I heard you can get it in
the big toe. I know it sure was painful. I'll have to see if it
happens again this tomato season but I sure hope not.

Rich

I've had gout. My doctor says the cause is excess uric acid from protein
metabolism combined with thiazide medications ("water pills")
taken to regulate blood pressure.

see http://arthritis.about.com/cs/gout/a/foodstoavoid.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090

Excess purines cause it. Tomatoes are loaded with purines.

Paul

Old 24-06-2010, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

It should be enough given the number you say you both eat, but then every
year is different.

In my locale, I'd be planning on preserving quite a load of toms if I had
that many plants for the two of us and I'd still give away a lot. I can
normally do that from about 6-8 plants and the occasional volunteer plant
but last year was a pig of a year and we only got enough for the table and
friends.

Old 24-06-2010, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

I don't have follow up to news group to click on. I'm using a web tv
unit and not a computer.

Rich

So I see said the blind man