GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/192296-will-25-tomato-plants-enough-two-people.html)

Dan L.[_2_] 24-06-2010 04:09 PM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do
any caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these
are cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a
day so I hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost
in the fall destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I
consider planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

More than enough for summer eating. Try canning hole tomatoes with the
extras.

No, no the ones with holes you cut up (discarding the hole) to cook for
breakfast on toast.

It will extend your enjoyment of tomatoes. Once and only one
you try canning... you will become addicted to it :) Nothing like
homemade tomato juice, salsa and sauces.

Agreed. And it isn't difficult.

David

The curse of automatic spell checking :)

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Dan L.[_2_] 24-06-2010 04:18 PM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

In article
,
citw150 wrote:

On Jun 23, 11:30*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. *We don't do any
caning. *I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. *We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. *Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

Google says a single plant may yeild 25 lbs of fruit. That could end
up being 625 lbs of tomatos!

It takes 56 lbs of tomatoes to make 7 quarts of juice.
625 lbs would make about 77 quarts of juice. But WHOLE tomatoes and
sauces could be made instead. I use about one quart of juice each week
for soups, marinades and beverages. But lets not forget many will be
eaten fresh. Insects love tomatoes also :)

richardg 24-06-2010 05:27 PM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

On Jun 24, 11:18*am, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

*citw150 wrote:
On Jun 23, 11:30 am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

I doubt that it takes 56 lbs of tomatoes to make 7 quarts of juice.
Two years ago I canned 200 quarts of tomato juice but I am sure that
I didn't pick 1600 pounds of tomatoes. I have a semi-commercial
electric juicer which is very efficient and the waste (skin and seeds)
is about 10 % or less of the total.
Richard

Irondale 25-06-2010 01:12 AM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people? (Dan)

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article
,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

I don't have follow up to news group to click on. I'm
using a web tv
unit and not a computer.

Rich

So I see said the blind man :)

to the deaf man ;0

Dan L.[_2_] 25-06-2010 02:11 AM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people? (Dan)

In article , "Irondale"
wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article
,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

I don't have follow up to news group to click on. I'm
using a web tv
unit and not a computer.

Rich

So I see said the blind man :)

to the deaf man ;0

eating at the fourth corner of the round table :)

Dan L.[_2_] 25-06-2010 02:34 AM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

In article
,
richardg wrote:

On Jun 24, 11:18*am, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

*citw150 wrote:
[...]

You are correct, I looked it up in the Holy Bible of canning books,
"Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" ISBN-10: 077880139X
On page 360, "On average, it takes 3 to 3.25 lbs of tomatoes to make one
quart of juice". 7 quarts is about 22lbs. So I am way off, Thank you for
correcting my mistake :(

I think, not postive now that my brain received a massive jolt.
The number 56 is the average weight of a bushel of tomatoes.
In the Bible The number is 53 for the average, Page 427.

It's not often I get a strong head smack, it hurts.
Kneeling in penitence:
Repeating: "I am not stupid" over and over until the pain goes away :(

Phisherman[_3_] 27-06-2010 04:40 PM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:30:15 -0400, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

Plant early varieties and late varieties. Yield varies depending on
sunlight, temperature, water, soil conditions, polinating insects,
etc. Staking tomatoes may somewhat reduce the yield of a plant,
allowing them to vine on the ground usually helps yield but you should
the fruit off the ground with straw. A tomato plant in Ohio will
typically outperform a similar tomato plant in east Tennessee because
tomato plants like cooler nights.

brooklyn1 27-06-2010 05:42 PM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

wrote:

[...]

Nightshades do much better with warm nights

[email protected] 28-06-2010 01:04 AM

Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people? (Dan)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:11:50 -0400, "Dan L."
wrote:

In article , "Irondale"
wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article
,

So I see said the blind man :)

to the deaf man ;0

eating at the fourth corner of the round table :)

then he took out his hammer and saw...