GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone know what this is! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/192351-anyone-know-what.html)

Suebdo 27-06-2010 10:41 AM

Anyone know what this is!

1 Attachment(s)
These are growing up all over our garden. The bulb smells a bit like garlic, but the flower are wrong. Long stem, no leaves at all. just a long stem, with the flower? at the top.

Bill who putters 27-06-2010 07:03 PM

Anyone know what this is!

In article ,
Tony wrote:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=13152|

Perhaps Walking Egyptian onion on the immature side.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Una 27-06-2010 09:17 PM

Anyone know what this is!

Agree it is an Allium, and apomictic: it has seedlings (bulbils)
growing out of its flowers.

A number of cultivated species in the onion genus Allium do this.
A common one is "pregnant onion", one or more varieties of Allium
cepa, the common onion. Possibly this is the same as Bill's
"walking Egyptian onion", but that name can refer to another
species, Allium proliferum, which may itself be a cross between
A. cepa and A. fistulosum.

("Pregnant onion" can also refer to Ornithogalum longebracteatum,
which is no kind of onion.)

Una

Suebdo 29-06-2010 06:50 PM

I thought it was a Allium, but it has had no flowers. I thought some would come, but they haven't. Just the seed pods. No even very small flowers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Una (Post 892335)