Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default More Thoughts on Invasive Weed Grass (which is now identified)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:17:47 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

OK. Pat K has identified my lawn invasion as Nimblewill:
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/nimblewill_44/

I can pull a lot of it out by hand, given we get a few cooler days
here in the Chicago suburbs, but I cannot get all of it out. I was
thinking of spraying Roundup on the areas where it is 100% invasive to
see if that kills it off. If that works, I was then thinking of
moistening a rag dripping wet with Roundup, me wearing waterproof
gloves, and rubbing the rag on the weedgrass while avoiding the real
grass as much as possible. I know spraying will hit everything, weed
and grass alike, so that is not an option where there is still regular
grass mixed in. If I just get the Roundup on the weedgrass, will it
transfer via the roots to the lawngrass?

I wouldn't use Round Up, you'll end up with lots of big bare spots
where nothing will grow for a good long while (probably even kill some
distant plants with overspray/wind), and then the first plants to
return will be, WEEDS! Instead get with a weed n' feed program... it
will eradicate most broadleaf grasses/weeds. Water and mow properly.
There is no way to have a relatively weed free lawn without chemicals,
just not possible. I can hear how you're looking for the lazy/cheap
way out, uh uh... lawns require constant work and cash... owning a
lawn is like owning a boat.

[IMG] code is On

Invasive weed/grass in my lawn hr(bob) [email protected] Gardening 27 27-05-2011 04:45 PM
More Thoughts on Invasive Weed Grass (which is now identified) hr(bob) [email protected] Gardening 2 09-07-2010 04:50 PM
Mystery Weed Identified, new mystery weed, Central Ohio Ron Hardin Plant Science 5 21-04-2006 11:23 PM
Invasive Weed Control Zing Gardening 2 07-09-2004 11:19 PM
That weed identified Noela Australia 1 30-04-2003 08:44 AM