Old 10-07-2010, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Zingiber Officinale Seeds (Ginger)

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

Alex

Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Alex wrote:
A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

Alex

I have read quite a bit about ginger and not seen any reference to growing
from seed. This doesn't prove that it can't be done but if it is then it is
uncommon (like potato). Some references say, in passing, that cultivated
ginger is sterile and that the wild ancestor is no longer found. I haven't
been able to track this down to an authoritative source but I suspect that
it is correct.

David

Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

Alex

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy

I have access to some land in the tropics. Which is why
I'm asking - growing from seed would be a lot cheaper
than buying rootstock.

Alex

Old 10-07-2010, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" schreef in bericht
Alex wrote:
A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer

I have read quite a bit about ginger and not seen any reference to growing
from seed. This doesn't prove that it can't be done but if it is then it is
uncommon (like potato). Some references say, in passing, that cultivated
ginger is sterile and that the wild ancestor is no longer found. I haven't
been able to track this down to an authoritative source but I suspect that
it is correct.

David

I know that Zingiber does produce flowers. And you do read
about 'ginger seeds' for food, but I haven't seen it for sale.

You could be right that the seed is sterile, but I haven't read
that either.

Alex

Old 10-07-2010, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article e.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy

I have access to some land in the tropics. Which is why
I'm asking - growing from seed would be a lot cheaper
than buying rootstock.

Alex

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/2...al_crime_scene

http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/product-info.php?pid965.html

No seed and sold out.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article e.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy

I have access to some land in the tropics. Which is why
I'm asking - growing from seed would be a lot cheaper
than buying rootstock.

Alex

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is
the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/2...al_crime_scene

http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/product-info.php?pid965.html

No seed and sold out.

This is a different plant, Zingiber mioga not Zingiber officinale.

David

Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Alex wrote:
"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy

I have access to some land in the tropics. Which is why
I'm asking - growing from seed would be a lot cheaper
than buying rootstock.

Alex

How mant plants are thinking of growing?

David

Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Alex" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

Alex

This link says you can propagate by cuttings, seed, or rhizomes.

http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/zin...d-maintenance/

Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Wallace wrote:
"Alex" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

Alex

This link says you can propagate by cuttings, seed, or rhizomes.

http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/zin...d-maintenance/

It does indeed say that. But it only mentions propagation from rhizomes in
passing further down and includes a whole lot of material that seems barely
relevant. This looks to me like the text was copied and pasted and not well
edited. I am not sure I would believe this source.

David

Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Wallace wrote:
"Alex" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

Alex

This link says you can propagate by cuttings, seed, or rhizomes.

http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/zin...d-maintenance/

It does indeed say that. But it only mentions propagation from rhizomes
in passing further down and includes a whole lot of material that seems
barely relevant. This looks to me like the text was copied and pasted and
not well edited. I am not sure I would believe this source.

David

Actually, I didn't read it very closely. Much of the hits I got refer to
the rhizome as the seed, so a lot of false hits for this particular search.

This paper seems to say propagation by seed (not rhizome) is theoretically
possible: "Breeding of ginger is seriously handicapped by poor flowering and
seed set. It is propagated vegetatively through rhizome."

http://www.ijat-rmutto.com/pdf/Nov_v...AT2009_24F.pdf

also:

"Most of the cultivars are sterile i.e flowers are rarely seen and is mainly
grown for the rizome. "

http://www.webindia123.com/garden/herb_spi/ginger.htm

sure doesn't look promising!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Wallace" schreef in bericht

"Alex" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

Alex

This link says you can propagate by cuttings, seed, or rhizomes.

http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/zin...d-maintenance/

Thank you very much. I am following up on this link
with their website right now.

Alex

Old 11-07-2010, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" schreef in bericht ...
Alex wrote:
"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy

I have access to some land in the tropics. Which is why
I'm asking - growing from seed would be a lot cheaper
than buying rootstock.

Alex

How mant plants are thinking of growing?

David

Probably starting with a hectare, 72 hectares max.

Alex

Old 11-07-2010, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/4748.html

Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:39:13 +0200, "Alex"
wrote:

"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy

I have access to some land in the tropics. Which is why
I'm asking - growing from seed would be a lot cheaper
than buying rootstock.

Alex

Commercial growing is often done from clones and if you want to go
into it commercially, you have a lot of information you need to gather
ahead of time.

I have seen such clones work done with orchids (had a friend in the
biz), but not with ginger and cannot say how simple or complicated it
is, although I do believe it'd be similarly done.

Perhaps a search on cloned ginger will get you started on information.
http://www.actahort.org/members/show...knrarnr=629_59

Boron