Old 12-07-2010, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ok - first tomato, first blackberry and sticky pots

Ok - I had my first, maybe not quite ripe, cherry tomato - a Rosalita
(pink), a bit tart, but just a few more days and I'll have ripe ones for
sure. The rest of the cherry tomatoes are few weeks away I think.

While dumping the weeds in the compost, I found the first of the wild
blackberries. YUM - a really treat in yesterday's heat.

I'm still dividing, marking to remove and otherwise, moving plants around.
And my mulch - a trade of 4 yards for about 40 mature clumps of daylilies,
is slowing making my paths a treat again.

As too sticky pots, well, I always have to scope out what in the discount
racks at Lowes

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/18431/

Is doing wonderfully in a lightly shady spot and just lights it up.

I also got a white purple cone flower and will keep looking for more cheap
plants.

One thing I want to do is clear room in the long bed for one or two blue
leafed rose (ok - that is what I was told the name was when I was gifted
it). I gave on to my neighbor and it is doing wonderfully on the side of her
yard in the "hot bed" among the orange daylilies and red bee balm.

Cheryl
Hoping for more rain in Southern NH

Old 12-07-2010, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Ok - I had my first, maybe not quite ripe, cherry tomato - a Rosalita
(pink), a bit tart, but just a few more days and I'll have ripe ones for
sure. The rest of the cherry tomatoes are few weeks away I think.

Speaking of tomatoes, my understanding was that determinant tomatoes all
ripped at the same time, but I have a Glacier with ripe tomatoes and
just set, green fruit!? Is this another urban legend biting the dust, or
is this just something odd about Glacier?

Most of my tomatoes have at least green fruit, except for the 90 day
ones.

Just setting out my second wave of lettuce, and need to start a third,
along with cabbage, kale, and broccoli.

While dumping the weeds in the compost, I found the first of the wild
blackberries. YUM - a really treat in yesterday's heat.

I'm still dividing, marking to remove and otherwise, moving plants around.
And my mulch - a trade of 4 yards for about 40 mature clumps of daylilies,
is slowing making my paths a treat again.

Lucky you, my tomatoes are closing together, and the path between the
peppers and potatoes are tight enough that is is go slow or break
branches, and I have to keep looking for the paving stones among the
mustard, buckwheat, and clover.

As too sticky pots, well, I always have to scope out what in the discount
racks at Lowes

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/18431/

Is doing wonderfully in a lightly shady spot and just lights it up.

I also got a white purple cone flower and will keep looking for more cheap
plants.

One thing I want to do is clear room in the long bed for one or two blue
leafed rose (ok - that is what I was told the name was when I was gifted
it). I gave on to my neighbor and it is doing wonderfully on the side of her
yard in the "hot bed" among the orange daylilies and red bee balm.

I have some Monarda didyma sitting in a large pots, who have been up and
doing nothing for a couple of months. I'll be moving it to a bed as soon
as I get the potatoes out of it (the bed).

Cheryl
Hoping for more rain in Southern NH

Hoping for some 90?F days to goose the garden along.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 14-07-2010, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 7/12/10 1:44 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Ok - I had my first, maybe not quite ripe, cherry tomato - a Rosalita
(pink), a bit tart, but just a few more days and I'll have ripe ones for
sure. The rest of the cherry tomatoes are few weeks away I think.

Speaking of tomatoes, my understanding was that determinant tomatoes all
ripped at the same time, but I have a Glacier with ripe tomatoes and
just set, green fruit!? Is this another urban legend biting the dust, or
is this just something odd about Glacier?

Most of my tomatoes have at least green fruit, except for the 90 day
ones.

Just setting out my second wave of lettuce, and need to start a third,
along with cabbage, kale, and broccoli.

Next year, I want to add lettuce to my flower beds - edible foliage!

While dumping the weeds in the compost, I found the first of the wild
blackberries. YUM - a really treat in yesterday's heat.

I'm still dividing, marking to remove and otherwise, moving plants around.
And my mulch - a trade of 4 yards for about 40 mature clumps of daylilies,
is slowing making my paths a treat again.

Lucky you, my tomatoes are closing together, and the path between the
peppers and potatoes are tight enough that is is go slow or break
branches, and I have to keep looking for the paving stones among the
mustard, buckwheat, and clover.

Well, I am moving lots of "good weeds" out of the paths and it to new homes.

I have some Monarda didyma sitting in a large pots, who have been up and
doing nothing for a couple of months. I'll be moving it to a bed as soon
as I get the potatoes out of it (the bed).

I've found with my various Monarda that they will "sleep" for a year or two
and then be wonderful.

Cheryl
Hoping for more rain in Southern NH

Hoping for some 90?F days to goose the garden along.

I've had plenty!

Old 14-07-2010, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Next year, I want to add lettuce to my flower beds - edible foliage!

Lettuce can look quite nice. If you go to
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u you can see my lettuce patch with green,
red, and freckled lettuce, among the odd buckwheat, alyssum, and
impatiens. There is catnip showing in the upper right, and a jalapeno in
the lower right.

Old 15-07-2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Ok - I had my first, maybe not quite ripe, cherry tomato - a Rosalita
(pink), a bit tart, but just a few more days and I'll have ripe ones
for sure. The rest of the cherry tomatoes are few weeks away I think.

Speaking of tomatoes, my understanding was that determinant tomatoes
all ripped at the same time, but I have a Glacier with ripe tomatoes
and just set, green fruit!? Is this another urban legend biting the
dust, or is this just something odd about Glacier?

It doesn't sound right to me. The genetic determination limits the number
of nodes but they still have to develop in sequence so the fruit must be of
different ages and maturity. It sounds to me like this is an unwarranted
extrapolation that gets passed around as a fact.

David

Old 15-07-2010, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Ok - I had my first, maybe not quite ripe, cherry tomato - a Rosalita
(pink), a bit tart, but just a few more days and I'll have ripe ones
for sure. The rest of the cherry tomatoes are few weeks away I think.

Speaking of tomatoes, my understanding was that determinant tomatoes
all ripped at the same time, but I have a Glacier with ripe tomatoes
and just set, green fruit!? Is this another urban legend biting the
dust, or is this just something odd about Glacier?

It doesn't sound right to me. The genetic determination limits the number
of nodes but they still have to develop in sequence so the fruit must be of
different ages and maturity. It sounds to me like this is an unwarranted
extrapolation that gets passed around as a fact.

David

Well, I've eaten the first 2 facts, and the rest are waiting in the
wings at different stages of development. The Glacier was only supposed
to be 30" (0.762M) tall, and it is 5' (1.5M) easy. So as you were sayin'
.. . . ?
Old 15-07-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

No, I am agreeing. Your legend is my extrapolation. I am saying I doubt
that determinancy implies synchronised ripening.

David

Old 15-07-2010, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/14/10 12:01 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Next year, I want to add lettuce to my flower beds - edible foliage!

Lettuce can look quite nice. If you go to
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u you can see my lettuce patch with green,
red, and freckled lettuce, among the odd buckwheat, alyssum, and
impatiens. There is catnip showing in the upper right, and a jalapeno in
the lower right.

Very nice Billy. Wish my tomatoes were that big.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or it could be that the tomatoes with fruit are
Glaciers (60 days to maturity, determinate, for container gardening),
germinated mid-March, and grown with clear plastic ground cover.
The garden is a month ahead of where it was last year, whereas most
gardens in the region are 3 weeks behind normal. Usually, we don't get
tomatoes until September, and we've already had five of them (a small
Marmande, 2 Stupice, and 2 Glacier + 2 more waiting to be picked ;O).

BTW - I'm not 100% sure, but I think your unknown plant is a comfrey...

Thanks, that pretty much makes it unanimous. It was still in the
unknown-folder because of one of my personality traits, sloth. Hopefully
it is out now.

I have lots of garden pictures on Facebook, I shouldn't be hard to find.

Cheryl

Old 15-07-2010, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/g/Determinate.htm
probably doesn't rank high as an authority, and they don't have a hard
and fast description of determinate tomatoes, buuuuut, generally
speaking, they are supposed to ripen at about the same time, so that
gives some wiggle room for the early ripeners, and the small green
stragglers.

Whereas my description of them is 30" (0.762M) container plants, my
feral ones are about 2M tall (and growing). Because of their early
production, I think they will be back next year.