GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flowers on parsley? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/192809-flowers-parsley.html)

JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] 19-07-2010 07:43 PM

Flowers on parsley?

It's always been my understanding that parsley flowered in its second year,
but mine are (theoretically) first year plants, purchased from a garden
center, and they're flowering. Why?

Una 19-07-2010 08:21 PM

Flowers on parsley?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
It's always been my understanding that parsley flowered in its second year,

....in cold climates. In warm climates typically it is an annual.

Sounds like your parsley got a big head start in a greenhouse, and
is now finishing its lifecycle. Next year, use more of it sooner;
that helps to delay flowering.

Una

Phisherman[_3_] 19-07-2010 11:07 PM

Flowers on parsley?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:43:58 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

It's always been my understanding that parsley flowered in its second year,
but mine are (theoretically) first year plants, purchased from a garden
center, and they're flowering. Why?

It may have been "fooled" this is its second year. I start fresh
parsley from seed every year. It is very easy to grow, all you need
is sunshine, water and a little patience for the long germination
time.

JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] 20-07-2010 12:22 AM

Flowers on parsley?

wrote:

It's always been my understanding that parsley flowered in its second
year,
but mine are (theoretically) first year plants, purchased from a garden
center, and they're flowering. Why?

It may have been "fooled" this is its second year. I start fresh
parsley from seed every year. It is very easy to grow, all you need
is sunshine, water and a little patience for the long germination
time.

I ran into a problem starting seeds this year. It's a fungus called
"forgot". :)

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 20-07-2010 11:50 AM

Flowers on parsley?

JoeSpareBedroom said:

It's always been my understanding that parsley flowered in its second year,
but mine are (theoretically) first year plants, purchased from a garden
center, and they're flowering. Why?

Your parsley plants were vernalized. That is, exposed to sufficiently cold
temperatures at some point such that they were 'tricked' into blooming.

Vernalization is a legitimate technique to get artichokes to flower the first
year, or when growing artichokes as annuals in climates that are too cold
for them to winter over.

It's a pain in the ass when it happens to your leeks, beets, parsley, etc.

Typically triggered (when unwanted) by a very late frost or cold snap.

Happened to my leeks last year. We'd had an unusually heavy frost in
very late May.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] 20-07-2010 12:31 PM

Flowers on parsley?

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom said:

[...]

You're describing a typical early June in Rochester NY. 3:00 in the
afternoon - 85 degrees. Midnight - 36 degrees. Drives the peach growers
crazy.