Old 22-07-2010, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question on how to install 4x4 pressure treated posts.........

I need to install two pressure treated 4x4s in my yard that I plan to
hook a cable to as a dog run. This way he can safely chase rabbits from
my garden area. The posts are 10' long. My soil is mostly clay. How
deep should I dig the post holes for this length post? Also, I plan to
fill the holes with sacrete concrete mix. The bags are 80 lb. each at
the local hardware store. How many bags will I need for each post? Any
other tips or ideas about this installation would be most helpful.

Thank You Rich from PA

Old 23-07-2010, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/22/2010 5:12 PM, EVP MAN wrote:

I need to install two pressure treated 4x4s in my yard that I plan to
hook a cable to as a dog run. This way he can safely chase rabbits from
my garden area. The posts are 10' long. My soil is mostly clay. How
deep should I dig the post holes for this length post? Also, I plan to
fill the holes with sacrete concrete mix. The bags are 80 lb. each at
the local hardware store. How many bags will I need for each post? Any
other tips or ideas about this installation would be most helpful.

Thank You Rich from PA

I would plant them four feet deep. I passed by a pallet of Sacrete at
work today, and noticed they were 80 pound bags (it may come in
different sizes, too). I'd plan on at least half of the 80 lb. bag for
each post, maybe more. Four feet down in clay, and then mixing Sacrete
- you're talking about *real* work!. Note that all of this is merely my
opinion - there is certainly more than one way to skin a cat . . er, post.

Tony M.

Old 23-07-2010, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
I need to install two pressure treated 4x4s in my yard that I plan to
hook a cable to as a dog run. This way he can safely chase rabbits
from my garden area. The posts are 10' long. My soil is mostly
clay. How deep should I dig the post holes for this length post?
Also, I plan to fill the holes with sacrete concrete mix. The bags
are 80 lb. each at the local hardware store. How many bags will I
need for each post? Any other tips or ideas about this installation
would be most helpful.

Thank You Rich from PA

I take it you will run a wire between the posts and the dog's lead will run
up and down the wire on a ring. Is that right?

I need more information.

So why are the posts 10' long? Why is this a starting point?
How high do you want to run the wire off the ground (often it would be on
the ground unless along a fence or wall)?
How big is the dog? (The bigger the dog the deeper the posts need to be
sunk)
How are you digging the holes? (The looser the hole the more concrete you
need)

David

Old 23-07-2010, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:28:29 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
[...]

Wooden posts should never be set in concrete... they won't be able to
dry so they will rot.

If you live where the ground freezes dig the post holes at least a
foot deeper than the frost line and fill with six inches of gravel.
Set the post and add another 6" worth of gravel, then back fill with
earth, tamping well and so that the earth is built up around the post
by 4" above grade. Concrete is used with metal posts, never with
wood. Nowadays a better choice is to use those composite posts made
from recyclables.
Old 23-07-2010, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question on how to install 4x4 pressure treated posts....(All)

Yes, I will run a cable between the posts and attach the dogs lead to
the cable. The dog is small at about 25 lbs. I'm using 10' posts
because I'm 6' 3" tall and want to clear the cable with my head while
mowing lawn. Our frost line is down around three feet here in my area.
I decided to set the posts in concrete because I figure pressure treated
lumber shrinks quite a bit when it dries out. This way I can lift the
posts out and have a 4" square in the concrete. And if I ever need to
replace the posts, I can just lift the old ones out and set the new
ones in. Figure it would save me the work of digging new holes the
second time around in the future.

Rich

Old 23-07-2010, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
Yes, I will run a cable between the posts and attach the dogs lead to
the cable. The dog is small at about 25 lbs. I'm using 10' posts
because I'm 6' 3" tall and want to clear the cable with my head while
mowing lawn.

Then I would set them down the maximum ie about 3' 6" to give stability.

Our frost line is down around three feet here in my
area. I decided to set the posts in concrete because I figure
pressure treated lumber shrinks quite a bit when it dries out. This
way I can lift the posts out and have a 4" square in the concrete.
And if I ever need to replace the posts, I can just lift the old
ones out and set the new ones in. Figure it would save me the work
of digging new holes the second time around in the future.

You said they were pressure treated, not all treated timber is the same, you
need it to be up to the standard required for constant contact with the
soil. If it isn't they will rot off in a few years. I don't like your
chances of replacing the posts as you describe, if they rot it will be near
ground level so the bottom will probably break off and stay in the hole.

The amount of concrete you need depends on how you dig the hole. If you use
a crow bar and post hole digger (like a big pair of tongs) you can keep the
hole neat and not much bigger than the post. You may not even need concrete
then, you can often tamp the clay back with the butt end of the crow bar
until it is really firm if you take your time. If you use a spade the hole
will be much wider and require more concrete. Do your digging when the clay
is neither very wet nor very dry.

David

Old 23-07-2010, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

I think what I'll do is dig the holes 45". Then I'll ad 3" of pea
gravel to the bottom of each hole. This should give me 6 1/2' of post
above ground to fasten the cable. I'll bring my concrete up above
ground level and dome it for water run off. Then I will seal the area
all around where the post meets the concrete with silicon caulk.
Hopefully this will work out for me and the posts will give me at least
ten years of use.

Rich

Old 24-07-2010, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/23/2010 12:16 PM, EVP MAN wrote:

I think what I'll do is dig the holes 45". Then I'll ad 3" of pea
gravel to the bottom of each hole. This should give me 6 1/2' of post
above ground to fasten the cable. I'll bring my concrete up above
ground level and dome it for water run off. Then I will seal the area
all around where the post meets the concrete with silicon caulk.
Hopefully this will work out for me and the posts will give me at least
ten years of use.

Rich

Sounds like an excellent plan - good attention to details of the "fine
points", too.

Tony M.
Old 28-07-2010, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

snips

Where do you live that putting a dog out on a cable
isnt staking out food for coyotes or other predators?
Ingrid

Heard of a neighbour's dog - poor thing -
was left to run on his yard-wire - when a quick
summer lightning storm decided to hit.
It's a quick death, at least.
And you are right about the coyotes.
John T.