Old 26-07-2010, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Squirrel repellents

I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.
Old 26-07-2010, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Get a pellet rifle. The kind you pump up as to adjust the power. Three
pumps will sting them while eight or ten pumps will kill them. They
aren't all that expensive and are also very quiet as not to disturb any
neighbors. I'm sure there are many other ways to deal with the problem
but a final solution is the best solution in my humble opinion.

Rich

Old 26-07-2010, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:33:44 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

You owe them a reciprocity for cleaning your pots; put out a blend of
corn and black oil sunflower seeds.
Old 26-07-2010, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

I put a collar of chicken wire around the pot. It seems to work.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 26-07-2010, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

"Issue." I like that diplomatic phrase.

Funny you should mention this. I, and my township are currently at war with
the rock squirrels here. It is an annual event, and if it were not for
PETA, we'd hold a cooking competition, or squirrel skin caps, or some such
falderal.

I have been developing a trap, of which I am at Model 2. Model 1 was a can
on a wire that they ran out on and fell in the water in a barrel. Model 2
that you see here is a principle of tipping, when they get into the tube,
the tube tips down, and they fall into the water. Or if they go on top,
they will fall in when they walk on top of the tube. I caught several, but
they can run out of the tube, or jump when they step on top and the tube
starts to go in. So, Model 3 is under construction, and it will have a tube
just like this, but on the right end, will use a simple latch so that when
they pull the bait attached to the latch, they are all the way at the end,
and their full weight is on the end, and it will be a trap door effect. I
may even do a Mod4, which will be just a square one foot trap door with a
latch release.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

They strip almond trees, apricot trees, peach trees, and a lot of times just
throw away the fruit and take the seeds. I hope to develop one that works
really well, and sell them to locals. The people on the other side of our
creek cannot fire guns, but we can, and some days it sounds like warfare.
One new resident to the quiet side of the creek called the county sheriff
one day on us. He came out and asked what was up. "You're not from around
here, are you?" was our first question. We explained the squirrel question,
and the regulation that we were in an Agricultural Zone, and could use
gunfire to prevent crop depredation by any animal.

I don't know if this helps. I also have a HavAHart trap that I use, and
that gets them. But I like these barrel and bucket ones because they reset
themselves, and work multiple times with one bait.

I am going to cheat a little, though. Gundogworld.com has eau de squirrel
cologne, and I have ordered two bottles of it to get the horny little
buggers to go deep into the trap. Was even thinking of having a squirrel
rump taxidermy stuffed as the enticer, but decided not to on sanitary
concerns.

You can make a very simple one that works great, and works great for mice by
using just a five gallon bucket with a tin can on a wire stretched across
it. Drill a small hole in the top and bottom of the can, so use a juice can
or something with the top and bottom in it. Slather with peanut butter.
Bend the wire, or put a little loop so the can stays centered. They go out
there to get it, the can rolls, and ploop, into the water where they drown.
These are outstanding! traps for around the house or garden, as they have no
poison, and are safe for kids and dogs. JUST BE SURE TO CHECK DAILY, as
they get SKANKY smelling real quick in this warm weather. They cost
literally nothing to build.

Yeah yeah, I know. You can use live traps. And then take them to a movie,
and lunch and a drive in the country, and relocate them. But most of them
come back, or another one just moves into the vacant squirrel condo. Tin
Cat by Victor is the best live trap for mice, and HavAHart is good for
squirrels. I use them, and then just soak them in a bucket of water for
five minutes. That does the trick. If you want to see how these guys can
figure out obstacles, watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWU0bfo-bSY

Let me know how you do, or your ideas. This thread has been running in
alt.home.repair

Steve

Old 27-07-2010, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

Go with the chicken wire collar mentioned by Billy. That works for me, too.
Cut the wire so there are annoying sharp points sticking up.

Old 27-07-2010, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:

I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

steep some cayenne pepper in hot
water, filter it and then spritz on
the pots along with some mouthwash
and a few drops of dishsoap.

air rifle is more fun, but you have
to remember to put it down once in
a while and get some weeding done.

songbird
Old 28-07-2010, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 23:09:27 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

Go with the chicken wire collar mentioned by Billy. That works for me, too.
Cut the wire so there are annoying sharp points sticking up.

It is a good solution, however maybe not for my 80+ pots. Actually I
am now trapping them easily--about 3 to 6 per day using peanut butter
cracker bait, lucky no skunks caught yet.
Old 28-07-2010, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

news
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
. ..
I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

Go with the chicken wire collar mentioned by Billy. That works for me,
too.
Cut the wire so there are annoying sharp points sticking up.

It is a good solution, however maybe not for my 80+ pots. Actually I
am now trapping them easily--about 3 to 6 per day using peanut butter
cracker bait, lucky no skunks caught yet.

What's the plan when you catch a skunk? Sell the house? :-)

Old 31-07-2010, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

Go with the chicken wire collar mentioned by Billy. That works for me,
too.
Cut the wire so there are annoying sharp points sticking up.

It is a good solution, however maybe not for my 80+ pots. Actually I
am now trapping them easily--about 3 to 6 per day using peanut butter
cracker bait, lucky no skunks caught yet.

What's the plan when you catch a skunk? Sell the house? :-)

I use a 15-foot pole (very carefully) to open the trap door.

Houses are not selling here--dont even try. Neither are newly
constructed ones--all have been sittting empty for 12+ months.
Old 31-07-2010, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 26, 8:33*am, Phisherman wrote:
I have a squirrel issue. *They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. * Any idea on how to deter them? *I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3. *

A greyhound and a Jack Russell are quite effective here. They keep 'em
up in the trees where they belong, and if they don't, a pellet or bb
does em in. We back up to woods and there are a never ending supply
of them to keep Pop amused. Gun sits right next to sliding door, and
the dogs know the word Squirrel!!
We just can't afford to feed them the amounts they steal from the
bird feeders. We'd have to declare them dependants on our income
tax!!! Suspect the feds wouldn't be amused!! Nan in DE
Old 31-07-2010, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:05:06 -0700 (PDT), Nanzi
wrote:

On Jul 26, 8:33*am, Phisherman wrote:
I have a squirrel issue. *They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. * Any idea on how to deter them? *I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3. *

A greyhound and a Jack Russell are quite effective here. They keep 'em
up in the trees where they belong, and if they don't, a pellet or bb
does em in. We back up to woods and there are a never ending supply
of them to keep Pop amused. Gun sits right next to sliding door, and
the dogs know the word Squirrel!!
We just can't afford to feed them the amounts they steal from the
bird feeders. We'd have to declare them dependants on our income
tax!!! Suspect the feds wouldn't be amused!! Nan in DE

Only a total pinhead would expect that squirrels can read:
"avian food" "rodent food". duh

You're attracting the squirrels, you imbecile... a 12 ga. deer slug
between your eyes would be no great loss save the price of the round.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Nanzi wrote:

On Jul 26, 8:33*am, Phisherman wrote:
I have a squirrel issue. *They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. * Any idea on how to deter them? *I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3. *

A greyhound and a Jack Russell are quite effective here. They keep 'em
up in the trees where they belong, and if they don't, a pellet or bb
does em in. We back up to woods and there are a never ending supply
of them to keep Pop amused. Gun sits right next to sliding door, and
the dogs know the word Squirrel!!
We just can't afford to feed them the amounts they steal from the
bird feeders. We'd have to declare them dependants on our income
tax!!! Suspect the feds wouldn't be amused!! Nan in DE

My bird feeder has a metal mesh around it that gives chickadees and
wrens access to it. Robins and jays can reach in to the floors, and grab
black oil sunflower seeds as could the squirrel if he could reach it.

The feeder is held up by a pulley and a braided metal string. When I
want to fill the feeder, I lower it, and add seed. In position, the
feeder is 3 feet from the tree. The squirrel can easily jump this
distance, but once at the feeder, he is stuck. If he jumps back to the
tree, the feeder swings away, and the squirrel falls 10 feet. Once has
been enough for the squirrels to learn. Prior to the metal string, the
squirrels would chew through the nylon or twine that I would use. The
feeder would crash to the ground, and the squirrels would help
themselves. Now the squirrels are entertainment, and will come when I
leave a nut out for them, but they have no interest in the bird feeder
any more.
--
http://english.aljazeera.net/video/m...515308172.html
Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nanzi" wrote in message
On Jul 26, 8:33 am, Phisherman wrote:
I have a squirrel issue. They are getting onto and into my clay
flowerpots to lick the fertilizer salts that build up on the rim of
the clay pots. Any idea on how to deter them? I am considering
making soup, but for that I'd only need 2 or 3.

A greyhound and a Jack Russell are quite effective here. They keep 'em
up in the trees where they belong, and if they don't, a pellet or bb
does em in. We back up to woods and there are a never ending supply
of them to keep Pop amused. Gun sits right next to sliding door, and
the dogs know the word Squirrel!!
We just can't afford to feed them the amounts they steal from the
bird feeders. We'd have to declare them dependants on our income
tax!!! Suspect the feds wouldn't be amused!! Nan in DE

========

The OP seemed more interested in an inanimate object or substance to help
keep squirrels away, not a dog. If he wanted to swap one annoyance for
another, he probably wouldn've done so by now.

[IMG] code is On

cat/dog repellents fred Gardening 10 15-05-2019 03:28 PM
natural/organic insecticides/repellents? Megan Milligan Gardening 10 19-10-2003 11:02 PM
Mosquito repellents/killers Dave Australia 14 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
OT Red squirrel Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 32 03-03-2003 03:33 AM
Squirrel menace Alan Holmes United Kingdom 3 29-09-2002 11:32 PM