GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broom, noxious weed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/19319-broom-noxious-weed.html)

Richard Lane 30-04-2003 07:08 AM

Broom, noxious weed?

I see Sweet Broom for sale in N. California nurseries, it is considered
a noxious weed in Washington state and work parties try to eradicate it.
If I planted some in my garden would it be possible to control it's spread?
Dick

Kay Lancaster 30-04-2003 06:20 PM

Broom, noxious weed?

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:00:10 -0700, Richard Lane wrote:
I see Sweet Broom for sale in N. California nurseries, it is considered
a noxious weed in Washington state and work parties try to eradicate it.
If I planted some in my garden would it be possible to control it's spread?

Same thing as Scotch Broom, Cytisus scoparius? (grumble mumble, common names,
grumble mumble) http://www.invasivespecies.gov/profiles/scotchbrm.shtml

Yes, it's invasive, and the pollen is also a pretty good allergen. Why
buy trouble?