Old 30-04-2003, 07:08 AM
virginia walters

Default Amaryllis..I don't want it to die

Kara wrote:

Hi, I bought an amaryllis and need info on keeping it.

Snip

Depending on when you want it to bloom, you need to remove it from the
pot, put it in a dark, cool spot for at least 6 weeks, then replant it
and set it in the light.
The usual cycle for an amaryllis is to bloom then begin to put out
leaves in abundance. The bulb needs to be kept well fed and lighted for
several weeks/months, then allowed to go dormant by withholding water.
The leaves will begin to wilt when it is time. (here we keep it going
through the summer, as it usually blooms about Christmas time)
Amaryllis' are beautiful flowers and can be kept over for many seasons.
They will produce offsets that, if properly nurtured will also produce
blooms.