Old 18-08-2010, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default bushes that bloom often

I'm in need of some landscaping and would like to add color and size.
I'm in Atlanta, 7b, piedmont.

Mostly that seems to come down to crape myrtle, but I was in Lowes and
saw an azalea blooming. Unknown to me they have varieties that bloom
spring through fall.

Any recommendations?

I'm doing some real estate investing and am buying a couple of
starter houses (as rentals) on some very hilly terrain. These two have
never been landscaped (built in the 60's) so it's an open slate. I think
I may have some spots for hydrangeas and swamp hibiscus, mostly though,
lots of sun. Should be fun... It's a buyers market, sellers are getting
killed.

Jeff
Old 18-08-2010, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm in need of some landscaping and would like to add color and size.
I'm in Atlanta, 7b, piedmont.

Mostly that seems to come down to crape myrtle, but I was in Lowes and
saw an azalea blooming. Unknown to me they have varieties that bloom
spring through fall.

Any recommendations?

http://shrubs.suite101.com/article.cfm/kerria_japonica

I have a double and a single yellow. Also a single white. Easy to
propagate.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Old 18-08-2010, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:57:34 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

I'm in need of some landscaping and would like to add color and size.
I'm in Atlanta, 7b, piedmont.

Mostly that seems to come down to crape myrtle, but I was in Lowes and
saw an azalea blooming. Unknown to me they have varieties that bloom
spring through fall.

Any recommendations?

I'm doing some real estate investing and am buying a couple of
starter houses (as rentals) on some very hilly terrain. These two have
never been landscaped (built in the 60's) so it's an open slate. I think
I may have some spots for hydrangeas and swamp hibiscus, mostly though,
lots of sun. Should be fun... It's a buyers market, sellers are getting
killed.

You don't want to do landscaping for tenants... maybe one low
maintenence shade tree, and strong fencing to keep vehicles on the
paved area.
Old 18-08-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/18/10 4:57 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I'm in need of some landscaping and would like to add color and size.
I'm in Atlanta, 7b, piedmont.

Mostly that seems to come down to crape myrtle, but I was in Lowes and
saw an azalea blooming. Unknown to me they have varieties that bloom
spring through fall.

Any recommendations?

I'm doing some real estate investing and am buying a couple of
starter houses (as rentals) on some very hilly terrain. These two have
never been landscaped (built in the 60's) so it's an open slate. I think
I may have some spots for hydrangeas and swamp hibiscus, mostly though,
lots of sun. Should be fun... It's a buyers market, sellers are getting
killed.

Jeff

roses, gardenias, tree mallows

Also consider perennials: daylilies, alstroemeria, Shasta daisies

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 18-08-2010, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm in need of some landscaping
I'm doing some real estate investing and am buying a couple of
starter houses (as rentals)

You don't want to do landscaping for tenants... maybe one low
maintenence shade tree, and strong fencing to keep vehicles on the
paved area.

I disagree. A good long term tenant likes to have a little eye candy in the
yard. Encourage him/her to add their own touches.

Good, let them hang curtains, and clean the terlit... tenants are
tenants for a reason, they are not responsible.

There's no way to know how long a tenant will stay (there's no way the
tenant knows how long they will stay) and the vast majority are very
transient, that's just the nature of the beast, no prospective tenant
ever tells the truth about why they are moving, they often don't have
the foggiest idea about why they are moving other than they couldn't
pay rent at the last place. Other than non payment of rent the two
most popular reasons why a tenant is moving is due to change of
employment or a divorce/separation (two good reasons to be short of
cash). And even those who stay a couple three years (the outside of
long term) rarely will do any landscape maintenence, most won't
remember to water their own potted plants. I've had rental properties
for more than forty years, often as many as a dozen at a time, and at
nearly 70 years old I still have a couple of rental properties. I
never expect a tenant to tend to the outside, I'm happy to have the
rent paid and that they don't destroy the place. There's money to be
made with rental property but expecting tenants to do any maintenance
is the last of priorities, tenants are far more likely to be abusive
because it's not their property, folks don't treat rental cars very
well either. Tenants resent paying rent, tenants don't like that
they're tenants, they're tenants because if they want a roof they have
no other choice... they are not going to spend any money or make any
effort to improve the landlord's property. And in fact I don't like
tenants to be long term, better they leave after a year, or two at the
most. Tenants are typically on their best behaviour early on but at
about a year they begin to act like they own the place and the
landlord is the interloper. I don't let my tenants dig in the ground,
they'd just make a mess... if they want to landscape they need to buy
their own property... if they want to garden I tell them to buy a pot
and keep it on a paved area. Now I do all the rental landscape
maintenance but previously when I had more properties I hired a
professional or the condo association did. I strongly suggest that
anyone contemplating becoming a landlord that they make sure their
head is screwed on correctly and divest themselves of any pie in the
sky altruistic attitude... the reality is that you own the property
and have all the responsibility, the tenant owns nothing and couldn't
care less about what's not theirs... the first time they can't pay the
rent (and it will happen) you'll believe me... all tenant's actually
believe that they should be permitted to owe the rent the same as they
owe on everything else that they put on plastic that eventually they
never pay. Anyone who thinks a tenant is going to buy a lawnmower is
nuts, even if you give them a lawnmower and the fuel they still won't
mow, they'll probably sell the mower and say someone stole it... you
really don't want a rental property that has a lawn anyway... the best
rental properties are condos (no outside maintenance) or are a simple
house on minimal land, just barely enough side yard for a walking path
and with a postage stamp yard. Now my rental house is on the property
where I live and I do whatever needs to be done outside... my other
property has no residence, it's a 90 acre hay field that I rent to a
farmer who raises beef on his land two properties down the road, he
does the haying and pays my taxes... meanwhile in seven years that
property has appreciated, very conservatively, threefold. Investing
in rental property is a lot more involved than most people imagine,
you had best have a great sense of humor and a cast iron temperment.
Old 18-08-2010, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

http://www.financialcrisis2009.org/f...te/Are-the-ten
ants-right-217283.htm

I lean towards trying to encourage gardening ideals. But it is a
business still.

Old 18-08-2010, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/18/10 9:21 AM, Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

In my neighborhood, owners of rental houses generally require a lease of
at least two years. Because of excellent schools and a well-designed
community, monthly rents are $2,500-$3,000. A rental house rarely stays
vacant more than a month.

In this housing environment, putting an effort into landscaping can
easily be justified. The rental house right next door to me just went
through extensive renovation and completely new landscaping.

Old 18-08-2010, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote
Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm in need of some landscaping
I'm doing some real estate investing and am buying a couple of
starter houses (as rentals)

In my neighborhood, owners of rental houses generally require a lease of
at least two years. Because of excellent schools and a well-designed
community, monthly rents are $2,500-$3,000.

Jeff is talking "starter houses"... do you even know what's a starter
house.... obviously not when you disregard the question and launch
right into boasting about the ritzyness of where you claim to reside.
If you live in a neighborhood of houses that can rent for those kinda
bucks and enough people are actually renting their homes that their
business is common knowlege then you either live in a collapsing nabe
full of foreclosures or are full of doodoo... I'd say the latter.
There are houses that do rent for that kind of money, and a lot more,
but owners and renters don't blab about it, for obvious reasons.

And that's another thing for noobie landlords, NO lease... month to
month only. And no one gives a two year lease to a brand new tenant
unless it's commercial property, and then it's drawn up by attorneys,
so right there I know you're making it up... you're a tenant
yourself... you're another egotist needs folks to think you're so well
off that you can afford three names, you likely live in a hovel. Jeff
asked for help but you and your ilk can't so yoose toss out red
herrings, yoose can't help anyone because it's patently obvious that
yoose don't know anything. Any minute that billy goat's gruff will be
by to regurgitate his extensive library of useless verbosity and
impotent witlessness.
Old 18-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Registered User

If its an investment for rental I wouldn't be worrying about colour etc. I would concentrate on more of the same and introduce some form, shape, structure, enclosure and possibly screening to the vacant space.

Also don't believe everthing you see in Lowes, alot of that stuff is forced or retarded in specialist polytunnels in a way you could never emulate in low maintenance outdoor environment in late summer. Potted Azaleas will most probably bake and die without a deep leaf litter and moist humusy soil!

Indian Hawthorns (Rhaphiolepis indica) are good value, and flower but deer love them. Pittosporum tobira, Ozmanthus, Crape myrtles are also a good bet along with some palms for architecture. I would get to know the local area and what grows well and lush looking with the minimum of care (What's growing in the central reservations in roads etc.). Hibicus will flower but what will they look like without loads of care on their own....Stringy and weak?

Alternatively you could do a native scheme if it was bold enough. Less is more in my opinion, in terms of different species etc. and its far more impartial and restful - so your tenants are more likely to gel to it.

Old 18-08-2010, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm in need of some landscaping
I'm doing some real estate investing and am buying a couple of
starter houses (as rentals)

You don't want to do landscaping for tenants... maybe one low
maintenence shade tree, and strong fencing to keep vehicles on the
paved area.

I disagree. A good long term tenant likes to have a little eye candy in the
yard. Encourage him/her to add their own touches.

Good, let them hang curtains, and clean the terlit... tenants are
tenants for a reason, they are not responsible.

And you are a waste of space.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 18-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Registered User

Like I said...unless you want to put the time, labour and money into decent soil prep and mulching and then the ongoing maintenance forget snazzy shallow rooting plants like Gazanias and Azaleas and plant something low maintenance that will look good with minimal prep, be resilient and require minimal maintenace.

As for politics.....buying peoples homes on the cheap to rent back to them...the homes that they lost through circumstances which were no fault of their own....and then complaining about how the snivelling lowlifes don't give a damn about 'Your' secured property investment as they are only tenants who are incapable of looking after themselves....hmmmm.....well let me know how you get on in the late 21st century when all of the US real estate stock has been bought out by the chinese.....that is if they are still interested....lol

Greed will only ultimately destroy the quality of everyones lives in the end! Think about how the other half live!

I for one think it's a genuinely good to see a landlord who is willing to make a difference to a rental property! At least its a positive move! You only get out what you put in! Just make sure the local market is there for your gardening tenant clientale! lol! Put the work in, make a difference just don't get too personal with your planting selections!
Old 19-08-2010, 08:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/18/2010 4:48 PM, Sambo wrote:
If its an investment for rental I wouldn't be worrying about colour etc.
I would concentrate on more of the same and introduce some form, shape,
structure, enclosure and possibly screening to the vacant space.

Most of the homes in the area are nicely landscaped, the two I am trying
to buy have just about none, they are a bit stark. They need something,
particularly something as an accent and something of some size.

I'm interested in enhancing the curb appeal. At least so when you
look at the house it looks like some care went into it, not neglect. As
far as tenants, I am a virgin landlord but I am not a desperate one. I
also have seen the results of catering to the bottom of the market. Let
someone else take those who are looking for the cheapest housing, I
don't want or need them.

Also don't believe everthing you see in Lowes, alot of that stuff is
forced or retarded in specialist polytunnels in a way you could never
emulate in low maintenance outdoor environment in late summer. Potted
Azaleas will most probably bake and die without a deep leaf litter and
moist humusy soil!

Indian Hawthorns (Rhaphiolepis indica) are good value, and flower but
deer love them. Pittosporum tobira, Ozmanthus,

Both of these seem a bit too tender for Atlanta which is 7. We had temps
in the teens this year.

Crape myrtles are also a

This largely what is in the neighborhood and will probably be my staple
also. As mentioned this is very hilly and a few of these can help
correct that by filling in or screening out depth changes.

Most of the other suggestions, and I've looked at all of them, are
too small for accent plants (unsure of the tree mallows) or won't stand
the sun (kerria japonica) and exposure, although I can find some areas
where they could be planted. Particularly in the back yards which are
more wooded.

So what I am looking at now is probably crape myrtle, and possibly
magnolia. I have an abundance of Rose of Sharon and those could be used
as lead ins. Possibly also, Camelias.

I am not crazy and do not want to throw money at this, I'll probably
buy (what I haven't dug up elsewhere) at the state farmers market.

I am paying cash for the houses, one empty and one with tenants, and at
the ridiculously low prices I am buying at (13K and 17K) short sales and
living in an area which is steadily growing in population which is
relatively better off, it would be hard to lose money. Unlike, say the
person who bought at 130K, or even those at 60K. Those are all getting
flushed out of the market which is where my opportunity lies. The people
renting these houses (at $700 to $800 month) don't have the cash to buy
them, there are no mortgages under 50K. Tenants in this neighborhood are
working class and largely long term.

The houses are small and solidly built, the opposite of a McMansion.
Very practical and cheap to keep up and live in. If this was flat and
straight, it would be a very boring neighborhood, it's the opposite of
flat and straight.

Here's the 17K (dry closed):

http://www.trulia.com/property/30109...lanta-GA-30318

As you can see, there is nothing in the front yard. It had way too
much money spent on the inside.

good bet along with some palms for architecture. I would get to know
the local area and what grows well and lush looking with the minimum of
care (What's growing in the central reservations in roads etc.).
Hibicus will flower but what will they look like without loads of care
on their own....Stringy and weak?

Alternatively you could do a native scheme if it was bold enough. Less
is more in my opinion, in terms of different species etc. and its far
more impartial and restful - so your tenants are more likely to gel to
it.

I'm down with that. This is not fancy landscaping.

Jeff

Old 19-08-2010, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/18/10 12:10 PM, in article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

And just how long have you been a landlord? I have 20+ years of it. You do
get bad tenants, but honestly, I've only needed the sheriff once. House
rentals attract better potential renters and basic yard work is easy
contracted out.

Old 19-08-2010, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

I have never had a tree mallow myself but I see a lot of them. They
are spectacular in bloom but deciduous and they leaf out very late in
the spring, IIRC even later than locusts. If not adequately briefed,
a helpful tenant may cut down the tree thinking it is dead.

How about azalea?

What exactly do you mean by "bloom often"?

Una