Old 19-08-2010, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Good trellis plants - snapdragons?

Paul M. Cook wrote:
I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. Literature says they don't
require especially great soil. They sound perfect to me.

Snapdragons are annuals and they don't vine.

gloria p
Old 19-08-2010, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Good trellis plants

On 8/18/10 5:37 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
wrote in message ...
"Paul M. Cook" writes:

I am installing a 8 foot by 6 foot iron trellis for privacy. What is a
good
plant that would cover the trellis relatively quickly and not require a
lot
of attention other than watering and some occasional trimming?

Where are you?

Do you need privacy in the winter too?

Lots of vines will cover the trellis.

Many vines will then attempt to
crush the trellis and then take over your house.

SoCal. Ideally this would be a perenial if that is the right word. A bush
of some kind.

Star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides). It's evergreen, takes sun
or part sun, grows fast after the roots are established, and has
fragrant flowers.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 19-08-2010, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/18/10 8:17 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. Literature says they don't
require especially great soil. They sound perfect to me.

Grapes take some work. If you want fruit, they take severe pruning in
the winter. During the growing season, they might have to be tied to
the trellis. Errant shoots will have to be pinched to promote more
bushy growth.

I'm not saying that grapes are bad. I have three vines of my own. I
just know how much work is involved to get ripe grapes for eating.

Old 19-08-2010, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who putters wrote:
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I am installing a 8 foot by 6 foot iron trellis for privacy. What is a
good
plant that would cover the trellis relatively quickly and not require a
lot
of attention other than watering and some occasional trimming?

Grapes come to mind with malabar spinach as an edible vine mixed in.

Grapes are deciduous. I thought you didn't have any soil to plant in?

95% of his yard is patio, so he is very restricted.

Old 19-08-2010, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

"gloria.p" wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. Literature says
they don't require especially great soil. They sound perfect to
me.

Snapdragons are annuals and they don't vine.

gloria p

Snapdragons do make an excellent cutting flower. That's why I like them.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan Using an iPad

Old 19-08-2010, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 18, 8:17*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. *Literature says they don't
require especially great soil. *They sound perfect to me.

Star Jasmine would be a good choice.
Potato Vine Solanum jasminoides
Various Jasmines
Bougainvillea
Passion vine
Cape Honeysuckle maybe

Stay AWAY from Virgina Creeper, it is not a creeper in Calif. It
will rampantly take over the trellis your yard and perhaps the walls
of
your house. I have fighting one on the neighbors side of the fence and
now it is back again
I would also stay away from Wisteria, gets huge.

Paul go to your library and find a copy of the Sunset Western Garden
Book
In the front is a guide to types of plants, such as vines, shrubs,
ground
covers etc and zones they do well in. There is a wealth of
information there.

Emilie
NorCal
You might even decide to buy the book.
Old 19-08-2010, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who putters wrote:
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I am installing a 8 foot by 6 foot iron trellis for privacy. What is
good
plant that would cover the trellis relatively quickly and not require
a lot
of attention other than watering and some occasional trimming?

Grapes come to mind with malabar spinach as an edible vine mixed in.

Grapes are deciduous. I thought you didn't have any soil to plant in?

95% of his yard is patio, so he is very restricted.

95 percent of my BACK yard. Most people have a front yard as well.

Paul

Old 19-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Registered User

Trachleospernum jasminoides is a great evergreen for a warm site with some sun and there are a lot of them about in instant sizes fairly cheap shipped over from Tuscany but it will not stand cold saturated roots in winter. In the shade you can't beat the evergreen Pileostegia viburnoides for complete cover, but it is slow to get going and hard to find.

Don't overlook hedera colchica

I'd try and avoid clematis species unless you like interfering as all Clematis naturally tend towards bare stems at the bottom and leafy growth and flowers untop as they have evolved to grow through trees etc. so they don't really screen much.
Old 19-08-2010, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/18/10 5:37 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

SoCal. Ideally this would be a perenial if that is the right word. A bush
of some kind.

Bougainvillea is a natural for SoCal. Mandevilla grows well, too. If
you don't want a vine, what about a few oleanders? That's what they use
in the medians to shield cars going in opposite directions from oncoming
headlights.

Red vines like trumpet or the pones mentioned above will attract
hummingbirds, too.

gloria p

Old 20-08-2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"gloria.p" wrote:

Paul M. Cook wrote:
I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. Literature says they
don't
require especially great soil. They sound perfect to me.

Snapdragons are annuals and they don't vine.

The distantly related twining snapdragon, Asarina scandens, has similar
flowers, blooms profusely all summer, and climbs a good 6 feet in a few
months. It would need to be started from seeds and is probably annual in
Paul's zone.

Old 20-08-2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I am installing a 8 foot by 6 foot iron trellis for privacy. What is a good
plant that would cover the trellis relatively quickly and not require a lot
of attention other than watering and some occasional trimming?

Others have mentioned all of the perennials I thought of, but if you
don't mind planting seeds there are lots of annuals that would fit the
bill (if winter privacy is not important). The hyacinth bean vine
(Lablab purpureus) grows fast and lush and sports multiple sprigs of
nicely scented lavender flowers which turn into attractive purple seed
pods. It reseeds freely. Moonflower (Ipomoea alba) is a fast growing
vine similar to morning glory which produces many large white flowers
which open at dusk and smell really good. It attracts hawkmoths and
probably will reseed in your area. Spanish flag (Ipomoea lobata) is
another fast-growing annual vine that produces novel multihued flower
sprigs in abundance and probably would reseed for you. Cup and saucer
vine (Cobea scandens) can climb pretty high but sometimes takes quite a
while before it really takes off and starts blooming.
Old 20-08-2010, 07:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 18, 9:26*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 8/18/10 8:17 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. *Literature says they don't
require especially great soil. *They sound perfect to me.

Grapes take some work. *If you want fruit, they take severe pruning in
the winter. *During the growing season, they might have to be tied to
the trellis. *Errant shoots will have to be pinched to promote more
bushy growth.

I'm not saying that grapes are bad. *I have three vines of my own. *I
just know how much work is involved to get ripe grapes for eating.

Yet, on another NG you suggested an arbor for shade in a
"recreational island" I am planning for my back yard, and suggested
grapes to cover it. Several varieties, in fact.

If there's that much work involved to get ripe grapes for eating,
maybe I should use a fast-grown non-food plant instead. ??

HB

Old 20-08-2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 19, 11:46*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:26*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 8/18/10 8:17 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. *Literature says they don't
require especially great soil. *They sound perfect to me.

Grapes take some work. *If you want fruit, they take severe pruning in
the winter. *During the growing season, they might have to be tied to
the trellis. *Errant shoots will have to be pinched to promote more
bushy growth.

I'm not saying that grapes are bad. *I have three vines of my own. *I
just know how much work is involved to get ripe grapes for eating.

Yet, on another NG

No, what's wrong with me -- it was on THIS NG!

Old 21-08-2010, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 18, 2:31*pm, wrote:
"Paul M. Cook" writes:

I am installing a 8 foot by 6 foot iron trellis for privacy. *What is a good
plant that would cover the trellis relatively quickly and not require a lot
of attention other than watering and some occasional trimming?

Where are you?

Do you need privacy in the winter too?

Lots of vines will cover the trellis.

Many vines will then attempt to
crush the trellis and then take over your house.

Notable among these is Wisteria. Innocent me had no idea, when I
planted a couple of vines on each side of back porch.
Six years after removing, they are STILL coming up within 3-4 ft.
radius of original plants.

[IMG] code is On

Plants for Trellis Beags Gardening 5 26-04-2010 07:39 AM
Plants for Trellis - Please help us - thank you. Beags Garden Photos 0 21-04-2010 08:28 PM
What plants can I grow on a trellis? [email protected] United Kingdom 9 29-01-2008 12:53 PM
Good plants for a trellis? slugbug Australia 5 14-03-2006 12:03 AM
Trellis killing plants... RzB United Kingdom 19 03-01-2006 07:41 PM