Old 24-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Fleemo

Default Sparrows Devouring Lettuce Plants!

Yesterday I planted some lettuce seedlings in the garden, only to find
them serving as a tempting salad for the birds. I found several
Rufous-crowned Sparrows devouring my lettuce plants this morning. I
had no idea the birds were herbacious! Fruits and nuts, sure. But
lettuce?

I've taken great pains to welcome birds into my garden, providing
food, water, and shelter, but I would like to keep my vegetable garden
in tact as much as possible. How can I prevent them from devouring my
lettuce? I tried hanging an audio CD from a string, which was a
recommended method of scaring them out of my raised beds, but it had
no effect on them. Any suggestions?
Old 24-02-2003, 11:03 PM
bthache

I haven't had small birds do any damage to my garden but I've lost count how
many times I've been woken up at the crack of dawn by ravens ripping the
lettuce plants right out. They're not eating them... just ripping them out
and dropping them. And only lettuce. I've never been able to figure it
out. You could try covering the young plants in plastic to make a mini
greenhouse until they are too big for the little birds to damage.
--
Tammie
West of Hornepayne, Ont, Canada

om...

Old 24-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Tim B

You could cover them with chicken wire. Chicken wire is, to me, good for
almost anything. Like duct tape.

om...

Old 25-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Pam

Fleemo wrote:

Yesterday I planted some lettuce seedlings in the garden, only to find
them serving as a tempting salad for the birds. I found several
Rufous-crowned Sparrows devouring my lettuce plants this morning. I
had no idea the birds were herbacious! Fruits and nuts, sure. But
lettuce?

I've taken great pains to welcome birds into my garden, providing
food, water, and shelter, but I would like to keep my vegetable garden
in tact as much as possible. How can I prevent them from devouring my
lettuce? I tried hanging an audio CD from a string, which was a
recommended method of scaring them out of my raised beds, but it had
no effect on them. Any suggestions?

Make a little poly tunnel cover for your lettuce, using Remay and those
flexible poly hoops. Will protect your tender seedlings from birds as well
as any sudden drops in temperature. These are pretty common in most garden
mail order supply catalogs - used often during the growing season to keep
flying egg-laying insects off edible crops as well.

pam - gardengal

Old 25-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Fleemo

"Fleemo's Revenge!" I like it!

Thanks for all the good suggestions, folks. I do have some chicken
wire on hand as well as hoops to add a little protection. I'll do a
little armor plating first thing tomorrow morning to what's left of my
lettuce bed.

One odd thing I thought I'd mention... I added some iron phosphate
pellets to the garden to protect my seedlings from slugs and snails.
Much to my surprise, these same sparrows were not only munching on my
lettuce, but carrying away these little iron phosphate pellets. I
can't imagine they'd be tasty, and ya can't line a nest with 'em.
Quite puzzling.

-Fleemo
Old 25-02-2003, 01:03 PM
steven

shoot the sparrow or kill the plant

Old 25-02-2003, 04:27 PM
J Kolenovsky

Bird netting at Home Depot costs about $8-$10. It works well for me when
I plant small plants and I use a coat hanger by cutting off the ends as
anchors for the bird netting. I pull it up slightly in the middle and
the squirrels don't like how it interfers with them. Same with birds. I
even use it over my pond which has some 7-8 inch goldfish in it to keep
birds out. I used some rabbit guard to surround the pond and covered the
top with bird netting. Dogs and birds stay out.

JK

Fleemo wrote:
=

Yesterday I planted some lettuce seedlings in the garden, only to find
them serving as a tempting salad for the birds. I found several
Rufous-crowned Sparrows devouring my lettuce plants this morning. I
had no idea the birds were herbacious! Fruits and nuts, sure. But
lettuce?
=

I've taken great pains to welcome birds into my garden, providing
food, water, and shelter, but I would like to keep my vegetable garden
in tact as much as possible. How can I prevent them from devouring my
lettuce? I tried hanging an audio CD from a string, which was a
recommended method of scaring them out of my raised beds, but it had
no effect on them. Any suggestions?

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 26-02-2003, 03:15 AM
John

Because the sparrows are small, and if you're good, a .22 works. Otherwise,
a .410 is the choice. If you went to a 12, or even a 20 gauge, there would
be nothing left but feathers. If you are unfortunate to live in city limits,
an air rifle will prove sufficient.

om...

Old 26-02-2003, 05:03 PM
E-Man

Lar wrote in message We were warned not to feed our Quaker rommaine lettuce
for it would cause it diarrhea. Not sure if it would
react to other lettuce so never chanced it. If other
types of birds are similarly effected to lettuce, maybe
you have the last word by giving them a case of
"Fleemo's revenge"

i ALWAYS give my pigeons romaine lettuce, and other very green-leafy veggies
because Iceberg lettuce holds NO nutritional value and is almost all water
AND causes diarhia. I have never heard of romaine lettuce causing problems.
Is this true for parrots?
thanks,
E-Man