Old 27-08-2010, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fun With Skunks

I was trimming some shrubs which were rubbing against a window frame which
needs to be painted, and I think I discovered where my local skunk lives -
the one that scoots behind those bushes when I pull into the driveway late
at night. There's a 12" diameter hole in the ground.

Anybody want to lay odds on the chances of that skunk getting annoyed if I'm
clambering around its hole in the middle of the day?

Or, does anyone have several excellent recipes involving tomato juice, in
case I do NOT end up needing a bath and this paint job is done? How many
bloody marys can one person drink before the juice expires...15 cans of it.

Old 27-08-2010, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/27/2010 04:24 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I was trimming some shrubs which were rubbing against a window frame which
needs to be painted, and I think I discovered where my local skunk lives -
the one that scoots behind those bushes when I pull into the driveway late
at night. There's a 12" diameter hole in the ground.

Anybody want to lay odds on the chances of that skunk getting annoyed if I'm
clambering around its hole in the middle of the day?

Or, does anyone have several excellent recipes involving tomato juice, in
case I do NOT end up needing a bath and this paint job is done? How many
bloody marys can one person drink before the juice expires...15 cans of it.

There was a PBS show about skunks where a woman authority on skunks,
said the best way to get rid of them is to place a Boom Box at the
enterance

--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill

“Islam is the crack cocaine of religion” ~John Bodart

Old 27-08-2010, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mysterious Traveler" wrote in message
news
[...]

Any particular kind of music? I assume nobody really likes death metal, but
you never know.

Old 27-08-2010, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 27, 5:50*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
[...]

Play a recording of a lawyer talking. It works on sharks, too.

Chris
Old 27-08-2010, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/27/2010 5:24 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I was trimming some shrubs which were rubbing against a window frame which
needs to be painted, and I think I discovered where my local skunk lives -
the one that scoots behind those bushes when I pull into the driveway late
at night. There's a 12" diameter hole in the ground.

Anybody want to lay odds on the chances of that skunk getting annoyed if I'm
clambering around its hole in the middle of the day?

Or, does anyone have several excellent recipes involving tomato juice, in
case I do NOT end up needing a bath and this paint job is done? How many
bloody marys can one person drink before the juice expires...15 cans of it.

You can catch them in a Hav-a-hart and I understand they will not spray
if confined although I don't think I'd transport in the trunk of my car.

Old 27-08-2010, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Covered - that's how the professionals do it, apparently. This is a great
video.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-episode/4581/

Old 27-08-2010, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/27/2010 04:38 PM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

The previous post got sent when computer went haywire for a moment.

It probably won't care what you do during the day as long as your
careful. I burned weeds next to a skunk hole I didn't know was
there until the fire died down, then found the skunk happily
munching dog food in the garage with a bad attitude toward me
when I walked in.

There was a PBS show about skunks where a woman authority on skunks,
said the best way to get rid of them is to place a Boom Box at the
entrance just before dusk, playing loud bass music. She said it
never fails.

I recorded the show and checked it to get the formula to breakdown
skunk stink. Tomato juice doesn't work.

In your yard, never in the house, mix
one quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
one quarter cup baking soda
one teaspoon liquid laundry detergent

Mix fresh each time because dangerous pressure can build up
in closed container.

Keep away from eyes

After five minutes rinse off

Good luck

Old 28-08-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/27/2010 6:26 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I've trapped them twice when I was after groundhogs. I just opened the
trap and let them out. Did not get sprayed and there was not even any
odor. I wish I had videotaped the second time as I caught a mother and
her kids were jumping all over the trap and would not leave. I was able
to open the trap from above on my deck with a pole.

Video reminds me of neighbor that had a lot of cats and a cat door for
them to enter. One day he came down to find a raccoon in the house
eating cat food. Who knows what would have happened had it been a skunk.
Old 28-08-2010, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

While doing other things, I've been wondering who I know with a boom box.
Then it dawned on me that I play bass guitar. It's not like a needed
reminding. I practice nightly, and play in a band 3-5 times a month. The
skunk hole is 2 feet from the house, outside the room where I practice. All
I need to do is move the amplifier...

I need more sleep.

Old 28-08-2010, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

If anyone gets ****ed on by a skunk it's their own dumb ass fault.
Shoot them from a distance and be done with it.

Old 28-08-2010, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/27/10 5:24 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I was trimming some shrubs which were rubbing against a window frame which
needs to be painted, and I think I discovered where my local skunk lives -
the one that scoots behind those bushes when I pull into the driveway late
at night. There's a 12" diameter hole in the ground.

Anybody want to lay odds on the chances of that skunk getting annoyed if I'm
clambering around its hole in the middle of the day?

Or, does anyone have several excellent recipes involving tomato juice, in
case I do NOT end up needing a bath and this paint job is done? How many
bloody marys can one person drink before the juice expires...15 cans of it.

Gazpacho! basically, tomato juice (hope it tastes good) and finely chopped
veggies.

Cheryl

Old 28-08-2010, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom said:

"Frank" wrote in message

You can catch them in a Hav-a-hart and I understand they will not spray
if confined although I don't think I'd transport in the trunk of my car.

Covered - that's how the professionals do it, apparently. This is a great
video.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-episode/4581/

Only one time did I ever trap a skunk that wasn't calmly waiting for release.
That one had sprayed the cage and was snapping and hissing. I called a
professional pest controller to deal with it. That guy told me he suspected
it was rabid. We'd had two reports of rabid foxes attacking people in
the township that summer, and a friend of mine had reported a skunk
staggering in circles in the middle of the road during daylight hours which
he called the police to dispatch. So it seemed a reasonable assumption.

Had to use chlorine bleach + Oxyclean to deoderize the trap and surroundings.

(I was baiting for groundhogs and forgot to close the trap at night.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 28-08-2010, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 27, 6:41*pm, Mysterious Traveler
wrote:
[...]

Let me reinforce what you said.

Left alone to react, in a sealed container that will essentially cause
an explosion.

There has been a rash of soda bottles with pretty much this crap
inside left on lawns in various places (and yes, it is confirmed at
snopes.com). People pick up the bottles and the agitation causes it to
burst with rather powerful force- enough to cause injury.

DO NOT mix this up in a sealed container.

Keep away from eyes

No lie!

Also, be aware that if you purchase any quantity of H2O2 (peroxide)
you will probably get a visit from some branch of Homeland Security,
since that is a prime b o m b making substance.

Chris

After five minutes rinse off

Good luck

--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill

“Islam is the crack cocaine of religion” ~John Bodart

[IMG] code is On

Skunks Frank Lawns 4 30-07-2007 08:29 PM
Do skunks fish? Reel Mckoi Ponds 0 17-10-2005 08:29 AM
Q: Do skunks fish? CanadianCowboy Ponds 0 17-10-2005 01:43 AM
skunks laura Gardening 1 20-10-2004 01:00 PM
Racoons/Skunks Ben Tuinman Gardening 2 31-03-2003 05:08 PM