Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dried out window boxes

Well, I let 3 window boxes wither. One was petunias, one marigolds,
and one Alyssum. The petunias were still green but brittle. The
marigolds had a couple decent blooms still, and were not quite
brittle. I cut off the tops of those two and gave them a moderate
watering. It's pretty windy here so I might give them more water this
evening. I know it might be a bit late in the season to get any more
blooms (I am in New York City) but was this the right course of
action?

Chris

PS: The Alyssum, which my wife never liked and would just as soon let
die, was still plugging along nicely. Lots of blooms that are
attracting the most amazing variety of blue, green and gold tiny flies.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
Well, I let 3 window boxes wither. One was petunias, one marigolds,
and one Alyssum. The petunias were still green but brittle. The
marigolds had a couple decent blooms still, and were not quite
brittle. I cut off the tops of those two and gave them a moderate
watering. It's pretty windy here so I might give them more water this
evening. I know it might be a bit late in the season to get any more
blooms (I am in New York City) but was this the right course of
action?

Chris

My geranium pots have dried out once too often so that the petunias and
other smaller filler flowers have died. The geraniums are still doing
OK as long as I remember to prune off the dead blossoms.

Next year consider adding some polymer crystals to your potting soil.
They absorb a lot of water and release it slowly so if you forget to
water, it will help for a few days.

Our daughter has also added drip irrigation to their lawn sprinklers
to water her many large patio plants and it has made a big difference.
Her plants are huge and full and look as though they have just come out
of the greenhouse.

gloria p
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
Well, I let 3 window boxes wither. One was petunias, one marigolds,
and one Alyssum. The petunias were still green but brittle. The
marigolds had a couple decent blooms still, and were not quite
brittle. I cut off the tops of those two and gave them a moderate
watering. It's pretty windy here so I might give them more water this
evening. I know it might be a bit late in the season to get any more
blooms (I am in New York City) but was this the right course of
action?

Chris

PS: The Alyssum, which my wife never liked and would just as soon let
die, was still plugging along nicely. Lots of blooms that are
attracting the most amazing variety of blue, green and gold tiny
flies.

Since they are annuals that must be coming to end their season I wouldn't
bother going to much trouble.

David

Old 21-09-2010, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 10, 8:32*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Chris wrote:
[...]

Well, they all budded immediately. If the weather holds, I will have
another set of blooms. Sweet!

Chris
Old 27-10-2010, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
[...]

This is what I got after trimming them

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9379&aid=45005

Chris

Old 28-10-2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
[...]

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9999379&saved#....

Chris

Those pics were taken today, for what it's worth )

Chris