Old 21-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Registered User

Default do you know this shrub?

Hello

I have seen this shrub in numerous locations all over London but have as yet to find anyone who can tell me what it is and most importantly where I can find the seed to use in my own garden. I have only encountered the shrub in the UK and mostly London.

I am a beginner so all and any help is welcome regarding what it is, where to find the seed and how to grow/care for it.

I will be forever grateful!

THANK x 13
Attached Thumbnails
do you know this shrub?-24072010062.jpg   do you know this shrub?-24072010063-1-.jpg
Old 21-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygardens View Post
Hello

I have seen this shrub in numerous locations all over London but have as yet to find anyone who can tell me what it is and most importantly where I can find the seed to use in my own garden. I have only encountered the shrub in the UK and mostly London.

I am a beginner so all and any help is welcome regarding what it is, where to find the seed and how to grow/care for it.

I will be forever grateful!

THANK x 13
Hi ladygardens, this shrub is one of a group known as Hypericum, if I had to put a name to it then I would go for Hypericum moserianum but there is a better form with larger flowers called Hypericum 'Hidcote' which is semi evergreen and has larger flowers. They will grow from seed but the are very easy to grow from cuttings and your lucky, for now is exactly the right time to take them. select non-flowering shoots about 4-6ins long and remove all the leavers except for the top few, insert into a compost mix of 50% peat and 50% sharp sand in a pot (about 1 1/2" apart, so 10-15 in a 2 litre pot) water, cover with a clear plastic bag and place in god light but not direct sunlight and they will root in about 2-3 weeks very easily, once rooted pot into 2-4" pots and overwinter inside if possible , then plant out in the spring.
Hypericums benefit from being pruned by between 1/3 to 1/2 in spring, this keeps them nice and compact and bushy!!
best wishes, Lannerman