Old 24-09-2010, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Controlling/eliniminating nimblewill

Back in July Pat Kiewicz indentified my lawn weed as Nimblewill. I
now have figured out how to control/eliminate it. I put on a pair of
Vinyl gloves, followed by a pair of heavy cotton gloves that are
saturated with Roundup. I grab any/all of the nimblewill I can find
and squeeze it. I keep the gloves saturated with Roundup so the
chemicals transfer easily, That seems to transfer enough of the
Roundup to do the trick, as the weed turns white//ivory-colored in
about 4-5 days. Then, it seems to pull out fairly easy, even the
roots. Then I scratch the surface and plant grass seed. Roundup
says it is ok to plant 7 days after applying and that is how long I
have been waiting. So far I have made pretty good progress. more than
1/2 the lawn is done, on a 100 x 200 foot lot minus house and
driveway. Biggedt problem is bending over hours at a time.
Old 25-09-2010, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 24, 12:44*am, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
Back in July Pat Kiewicz indentified my lawn weed as Nimblewill. *I
now have figured out how to control/eliminate it. *I put on a pair of
Vinyl gloves, followed by a pair of heavy cotton gloves that are
saturated with Roundup. *I grab any/all of the nimblewill I can find
and squeeze it. * I keep the gloves saturated with Roundup so the
chemicals transfer easily, *That seems to transfer enough of the
Roundup to do the trick, as the weed turns white//ivory-colored in
about 4-5 days. *Then, it seems to pull out fairly easy, even the
roots. * Then I scratch the surface and plant grass seed. *Roundup
says it is ok to plant 7 days after applying and that is how long I
have been waiting. *So far I have made pretty good progress. more than
1/2 the lawn is done, on a 100 x 200 foot lot minus house and
driveway. *Biggedt problem is bending over hours at a time.

You can get a wick wiper to apply the glyphosate that will do the same
selective application and not require bending or using up gloves.

David.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've never heard of a wick wiper, where do
you get such a thing?
Old 25-09-2010, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

Its a long tubular tank with a handle at one end and a thick rope-like wick
loop at the other. You can walk around and dab the wick on to whatever you
like at ground level or above. I got one from a hardware store that had a
garden section. You could make one without a lot of trouble.

David

Old 25-09-2010, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

David- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I'll know what to look for my next venture out.

Old 27-09-2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

I went to two local garden-type stores, neither had heard of a tool to
dispense weed killer onto a wick or any other type of dispenser.
Before I try to build one, I thought I would try to buy one. Do you
have a brand name, or maybe some other name by which it would be known?
Old 27-09-2010, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

I had one that was Yates Zero Weed Wand but that is in Oz so you may not
have it.

David