Old 27-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Registered User

Default pink flowering escallonia hedge

I am no expert on gardening and would really appreciate some advice. I have a escallonia hedge running along the side of my house. The side of the house that it runs along is north facing but most of the hedge benefits from a reasonable level of sun. I have noticed that the leaves are starting to turn yellow with black spots. It reminds me of an attack by greenfly? on roses but I have checked both the affected and unaffected leaves and cannot detect any prescence. Is this a normal withering that happens in Autummn or is it being attacked by something
Old 28-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Registered User

Location: Herefordshire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy McGuigan View Post
I am no expert on gardening and would really appreciate some advice. I have a escallonia hedge running along the side of my house. The side of the house that it runs along is north facing but most of the hedge benefits from a reasonable level of sun. I have noticed that the leaves are starting to turn yellow with black spots. It reminds me of an attack by greenfly? on roses but I have checked both the affected and unaffected leaves and cannot detect any prescence. Is this a normal withering that happens in Autummn or is it being attacked by something
Hi Paddy,
Sounds to me like it may just be wear and tear from the weather.
I wouldn't worry for this season - a lot of plants are starting to look drab and tired at the moment.
If it struggles a lot in the spring consider a plant feed to give it a boost and if there are any signs of this leaf discoloration again chop a lump off and send it to the experts, either the RHS if you are a member or you can send it to us here at Ornamental Tree Nurseries, presuming you are in the uk.
Cheers,
Kate
Old 28-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate @ OTN View Post
Hi Paddy,
Sounds to me like it may just be wear and tear from the weather.
I wouldn't worry for this season - a lot of plants are starting to look drab and tired at the moment.
If it struggles a lot in the spring consider a plant feed to give it a boost and if there are any signs of this leaf discoloration again chop a lump off and send it to the experts, either the RHS if you are a member or you can send it to us here at Ornamental Tree Nurseries, presuming you are in the uk.
Cheers,
Kate
Hello Kate, thanks for the reply. Hopefully you are correct and it doesn't indicate any greater problem. I will watch it carefully into the spring and if necessary give it a feed.
Paddy