Old 29-09-2010, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default New Garden equipment for your use

On 9/29/2010 9:19 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 04:36:42 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

On Sep 28, 2:02 pm, wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

Interesting, but seems way overpriced. You should be able to less
expensive cultivators and aerators for same results.

My thought. Clearly spam but gives ideas.

That tool looks very well made compared to similar ones I've seen.
I have a similar tool (Garden Weasel) that does shallow cultivating
and weeding that is not nearly as well made as that one but is very
useful for small areas when I don't feel like hauling out my Mantis,
the Mantis has a aerating/dethatching attachment that I'd seriously
consider for a smallish lawn... every gardener needs a Mantis, best
gardening investment ever... it tills my 50' X 50' vegetable garden
more than 8" deep with as much effort as walking a small dog.

That one looks like a *serious* Garden Weasel. I would suggest
getting a Garden Weasel and using it some before deciding on a more
heavy duty more expensive model. However these things definitely
won't work on compacted never before tilled soil but they are
excellent for rejuvenating previously worked small areas. I wouldn't
use it for trying to improve a long neglected lawn but it does an
excellent job of shallow aerating and light dethatching of well
maintained turf. These tools are not tillers... they are
cultivators... I'd not want to use it for more than an occasional hour
it's not at all ergonomic, it's a wrist killer. As to price,
everything is expensive nowadays... by today's standards $100 at the
garden center is chump change. But I think the Mantis is a true
bargain, and before renting a power aerator/dethatcher (I don't for
one second believe that several neighbors share one rental for the
day) I'd definitely own the Mantis attachment... it would certainly
tend a 1/4 acre lawn without much effort but would probably be an all
day job, maybe two days... and after thatching (by any method) there
is still a LOT of raking. For a larger area I'd want an implement for
my tractor.

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel-...ef=pd_sbs_ol_2

http://mantis.com/attachments.asp

I received a Garden Weasel as a gift and found it practically useless
for the lawn. Gave it to Good Will.
Old 29-09-2010, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Frank
wrote:

: I received a Garden Weasel as a gift and found it practically useless
: for the lawn. Gave it to Good Will.

What do you use for tilling/dethatching/aerating?

In a perfect example of mission creep, I started out by expecting to
find mechanical dethatcher and aerator for around $20-$30 each, then I
found Grass Stitcher for $100, and now I am reading about Mantis which
will probably add up to $500-$600 for all attachments.

Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft lawn.
I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of brown
areas, although thatch is not too thick.
Old 29-09-2010, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Newbie wrote:

Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft lawn.
I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of brown
areas, although thatch is not too thick.

1,000 sf isn't really a lawn, that's a small grassy patch.... my ranch
house with two car attached garage is nearly 3,000 sf, my veggie
garden is 2,500 sf, I mow 10 acres of lawn every week To be perfectly
honest were it me I would most definitely hire a weekly lawn
service.... why bother with all the investment in tools and equipment,
storage, maintenence, and worry your brain over this when for less
money and zero stress you don't need to do much of anything but
water... and for that dwarfish patch (that I can water by urinating)
I'd install an automatic sprinkler. I think you are doing way too
much mental masturbation over your widdle gwassy. My last house was
on a bit more than 1/4 acre, I had sprinklers and Fabian arrived every
week with his crew and within 20 minutes my entre proeprty was mowed,
edged, string trimmed, blown, and grass clippings taken away; $25/wk,
and for about another $100.yr treated with weed n' feed and
pre-emergent.... would cost a bit more now but still well worth it at
twice the price.
Old 29-09-2010, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

Seek help.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Old 30-09-2010, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

Seek help.

I do have help, a 7' mower, A/C, stereo, cruise control. etc.

Old 30-09-2010, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Brooklyn1
wrote:

: Newbie wrote:
:
: Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft lawn.
: I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of brown
: areas, although thatch is not too thick.
:
: 1,000 sf isn't really a lawn, that's a small grassy patch.... my ranch
: house with two car attached garage is nearly 3,000 sf, my veggie
: garden is 2,500 sf, I mow 10 acres of lawn every week To be perfectly
: honest were it me I would most definitely hire a weekly lawn
: service.... why bother with all the investment in tools and equipment,
: storage, maintenence, and worry your brain over this when for less
: money and zero stress you don't need to do much of anything but
: water... and for that dwarfish patch (that I can water by urinating)
: I'd install an automatic sprinkler...

For something I don't enjoy, eg, house cleaning or snow shoveling, I do
hire help. OTOH, garden/lawn I enjoy and am trying to learn to do
myself. I don't mind collecting properly chosen equipment that would be
useful in the long run.

Watering is not an issue.
Old 30-09-2010, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Newbie wrote:

Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft
lawn. I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of
brown areas, although thatch is not too thick.

1,000 sf isn't really a lawn, that's a small grassy patch.... my ranch
house with two car attached garage is nearly 3,000 sf, my veggie
garden is 2,500 sf, I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

You need some stock.

David
Old 30-09-2010, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

Seek help.

I do have help, a 7' mower, A/C, stereo, cruise control. etc.

Peculiar therapy. You would be better talking to some horses or cattle
while they cut the grass.

Old 30-09-2010, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:04:40 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Newbie wrote:

Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft
lawn. I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of
brown areas, although thatch is not too thick.

1,000 sf isn't really a lawn, that's a small grassy patch.... my ranch
house with two car attached garage is nearly 3,000 sf, my veggie
garden is 2,500 sf, I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

You need some stock.

I have plenty of stock, from hummingbirds to black bear and everything
betwixt... a regular Noah's Ark.
Old 30-09-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:09:38 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

Seek help.

I do have help, a 7' mower, A/C, stereo, cruise control. etc.

Peculiar therapy. You would be better talking to some horses or cattle
while they cut the grass.

Believe me, if they could be trained to mow neatly I would... that's
been one of my fantasys, ovines that can be set to mow everything
equally at a two inch height. Todate the best I've been able to do is
train deer to prune the lower portion of trees to precisely 66" off
the ground... I'd really like them to do 72", I'm tired of getting a
bloody nose.

Old 30-09-2010, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Newbie wrote:
Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft
lawn. I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of
brown areas, although thatch is not too thick.
1,000 sf isn't really a lawn, that's a small grassy patch.... my
ranch

house with two car attached garage is nearly 3,000 sf, my veggie
garden is 2,500 sf, I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

You need some stock.

David

Are you referring to the original stock market: cattle
If so I have one share.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 30-09-2010, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

Seek help.

I do have help, a 7' mower, A/C, stereo, cruise control. etc.

I mow six acres. I have a 5' zero turn commercial mower, fast, shock
absorbers, open air, $8,000 US. IPod connected to noise reduction
headset listening to Lady Gaga.

1000sf lawn' A small pair of scissors should mow the yard in short time

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 30-09-2010, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

Seek help.

I do have help, a 7' mower, A/C, stereo, cruise control. etc.

I mow six acres. I have a 5' zero turn commercial mower, fast, shock
absorbers, open air, $8,000 US. IPod connected to noise reduction
headset listening to Lady Gaga.

1000sf lawn' A small pair of scissors should mow the yard in short time

If all I had was a 1,000 sq ft area to mow I'd level it by laser, get
me a greens mower and use it as a billiards table.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...gm_series.html
Old 30-09-2010, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I mow 10 acres of lawn every week

Seek help.

I do have help, a 7' mower, A/C, stereo, cruise control. etc.

Peculiar therapy. You would be better talking to some horses or
cattle while they cut the grass.

Believe me, if they could be trained to mow neatly I would... that's
been one of my fantasys, ovines that can be set to mow everything
equally at a two inch height.

Sheep don't have much personality. But you could get the crook and poke
bonnet on ebay I am sure.

Todate the best I've been able to do is
train deer to prune the lower portion of trees to precisely 66" off
the ground... I'd really like them to do 72", I'm tired of getting a
bloody nose.

Could you give them a box to stand on?

Old 30-09-2010, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 29, 4:07*pm, Newbie wrote:
In article , Frank

wrote:

: I received a Garden Weasel as a gift and found it practically useless
: for the lawn. *Gave it to Good Will.

What do you use for tilling/dethatching/aerating?

In a perfect example of mission creep, I started out by expecting to
find mechanical dethatcher and aerator for around $20-$30 each, then I
found Grass Stitcher for $100, and now I am reading about Mantis which
will probably add up to $500-$600 for all attachments. *

Not really sure what makes sense in the long run for a 1000 sqft lawn.
I looked at the soil and it seemed quite compactified. Lots of brown
areas, although thatch is not too thick.

A small rake when I need to dethatch. I've never aerated.
I believe in minimum maintanence which means frequent mowing with
mulching mower, little fertilizer and water.