Old 30-09-2010, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Coring v Spike lawn aerators + How effective is Mantis an aerator?

In article , Brooklyn1
wrote:

: Mantis has a aerating/dethatching attachment that I'd seriously
: consider for a smallish lawn... every gardener needs a Mantis, best
: gardening investment ever... it tills my 50' X 50' vegetable garden
: more than 8" deep with as much effort as walking a small dog.

I am seriously considering Mantis. At $500 for the tiller, dethatching,
and aerator package, it is cheaper than other powered options, and
would be a lot more convenient than any manual options. (Our lawn is
small, but bodies too are not what they used to be a few decades ago!)

However, my one doubt about aeration is that Mantis attachment appears
to be "spike" variety, not "coring". IOW it just punches holes rather
than remove cores. I keep reading that coring aeration is much better.

If you have used both kinds, I would appreciate a comparison, if one is
really better. Or, we know Mantis would be convenient, but how
effective it is as an aerator?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:17:57 -0500, Newbie wrote:

In article , Brooklyn1
wrote:

[...]

If all you have to garden is that small postage stamp sized lawn I
still strongly recommend you contract a lawn service, you will never
amortize the price of a Mantis, a lawn mower, an edger, a blower or
any power lawn tools... won't even pay for you to fuel those... all
you need is a leaf rake (if you have any trees nearby) and a garden
hose (short). If you really want to do it yourself buy a bow rake and
a reel type push mower. I'm serious... a 1,000 sq ft lawn is like a
dozen passes with a manual push mower, less work than vacuuming your
living room, 10 minutes tops... you can mow every day. Geeze, you're
really milking this... fantacizing about your Ponderosa.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Brooklyn1
wrote:

: On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:17:57 -0500, Newbie wrote:
:
: In article , Brooklyn1
: wrote:
:
[...]

I have no idea why you insist on ignoring the questions asked and keep
giving advice where none is sought. For example, watering or mowing is
simply not an issue for us. Similarly, it should not be your concern
whether or how I can afford power tools or the fuel.

For a variety of reasons related to age, arthritis, etc, I am ok with
manual mowing, but less with tilling/cultivating/dethatching. IOW
pushing above ground is ok, digging not. So I am considering power
tools. That is a function of my health, my interest in gardening, and
my budget. None of that should be your concern.

However, you have indicated that you own and use Mantis aerator. If in
the interest of sharing the experiences we do possess, you (or anyone
else) feels like answering the following questions, I'd appreciate
that, otherwise please ignore me and move on:

1. If you have experience with both spike and core aerators, do you
find one to be more effective than the other?

2. Setting aside above comparison, is Mantis spike aerator effective in
itself?

3. As it does not remove cores, what aeration does it accomplish that
would not be accomplished by the cultivator function of the tiller?

I have attempted to make these questions as direct and clear as English
language allows. You'd notice that they do not mention mowing,
watering, length of hose, trimming, flushing, raking, blowing, pruning,
vacuuming, number of passes, etc., anywhere.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:00:23 -0500, Newbie wrote:

: wrote:
:
[...]

You were given excellent advice. Anyone querying about a 1,000 sq ft
lawn acting like they know everything is unquestionably trolling and
here for no other reason but to bust balls... bye.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Brooklyn1
wrote:

: On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:00:23 -0500, Newbie wrote:
:
: In article , Brooklyn1
: wrote:
:
: : On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:17:57 -0500, Newbie wrote:
: :
: : In article , Brooklyn1
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

I have received as well as given a lot of excellent information over
the 25+ years I have been active in Usenet. Of course, not every
exchange has been or can be positive. So yes, good bye; please do avoid
my threads.

To others in the forum: If anyone is in the position to comment on the
issue, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

LOL. I'm beginning to enjoy the absurdity of this lawn obssession.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Newbie" wrote in message

: wrote:
:
: : On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:17:57 -0500, Newbie wrote:
: :
: : In article , Brooklyn1
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

:-)) You've just been Sheldoned (aka Brooklyn1). Welcome to the group.
You ain't a regualr till Shelly has monstered you at least once.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , FarmI
ask@itshall wrote:

: LOL. I'm beginning to enjoy the absurdity of this lawn obssession.

Absurd discussions are as old as Usenet itself. However lawn questions
are simple here. I'll reword my dilemma:

I understand that core aeration is considered better than spike.

Although my lawn is small, age/health/strength increasingly make up for
that, so I'd prefer a power tool.

Power core aerators seem very expensive. I can afford a few hundred,
but not a few thousand.

So I can either get a power spike aerator, or manual core aerator.
(Would like opinion of all who are not salesmen for either product.)

Finally there are many inexpensive power cultivators, and I am just
wondering if spike aerator does anything these don't.

That's it. Please opine away. (I don't even mind people like Brooklyn
taking down to me as long as they are on topic.)
Old 01-10-2010, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Newbie writes:

In article , FarmI
ask@itshall wrote:

: LOL. I'm beginning to enjoy the absurdity of this lawn obssession.

Absurd discussions are as old as Usenet itself. However lawn questions
are simple here. I'll reword my dilemma:

I understand that core aeration is considered better than spike.

Although my lawn is small, age/health/strength increasingly make up for
that, so I'd prefer a power tool.

Power core aerators seem very expensive. I can afford a few hundred,
but not a few thousand.

A lawn doesn't _need_ aeration. Lots of nice lawns have never
been aerated. If you really think your lawn would be improved
by aeration, RENT an aerator.

Aeration is something every few years, if that often.

Finally there are many inexpensive power cultivators, and I am just
wondering if spike aerator does anything these don't.

Cultivator on a lawn???
Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

A lawn doesn't _need_ aeration. Lots of nice lawns have never
been aerated.

This is very true... my lawn looks as good as any golf course fairway
and I never aerate, I use no chemferts, I never even water, all I do
is mow... all my neighbors refer to it as "The Golf Course". And I
can easily aerate the ten acres I mow by buying the implement for my
tractor but it's really not necessary. And keep in mind, if ones soil
is lousy; dry, stoney, clayey, heavily compacted to a depth of more
than like 2-3 inches aerating will accomplish absolutely nothing...
then it really should be deeply tilled, amended, and started from
scratch. If I really wanted a picture perfect lawn and it's only
1,000 sq ft I'd have nothing to think about, I'd redo it in totallity
from square one.

Just a small portion... picture was taken for the hummer, not the
lawn:
http://i52.tinypic.com/11khaxk.jpg

A little fertilizing:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2f0c6sj.jpg

Rough mowing my wildflower meadow two weeks ago, keeps it healthy...
discovered by raising my finishing mower to a 5" height its mulching
blades do a better job than my brushhog:
http://i52.tinypic.com/jjnwwk.jpg

If you really think your lawn would be improved
by aeration, RENT an aerator.

My neighbor two houses ago (30 years ago) had a small lawn, maybe
4,000 sq ft and every time he pushed his mower or did any kind of yard
work he wore those old style golf shoes, those did a great job of
aerating... any sports shoes with cleats is all the aerating one needs
for a small area... wearing cleats also vastly improves traction
making yard work less fatiguing.

[IMG] code is On

Mantis Aerator? Mack Lawns 1 08-03-2006 02:23 AM
FA: New! Pull Behind Aerator / Spike TJ Lawns 3 30-03-2005 04:25 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
aerator attachment for Mantis tiller? Larry Dawson Gardening 1 27-11-2003 05:12 PM
how to use the Mantis Aerator Attachment jin Lawns 9 26-09-2003 10:06 PM